Engineer Update

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by Engineer, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Engineer

aa Engineer

Positive Ratings:
  2. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    What is it with people making fake update pages and picking copywrite protected maps, the last one had convy, this one has mach4... They're not even good maps at that!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Moved to tf2 talk, more fitting

4. crazychicken

crazychicken L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    still better maps than hoodoo lol

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. martijntje

martijntje L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah the map pick isnt that good. (I do like picking achievement idle). I would love a photoshop tutorial on how to make such a fake upde. (for map promotion purposes)

6. Owlruler

Owlruler L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I like hoodoo, it's my favorite community map that valve has added.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Dr. Spud

aa Dr. Spud Grossly Incandescent

Positive Ratings:
    They're copywrite protected?

8. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    both convoy and mach4 are ports form other maps for other games by different authors. they can't and wont ever be bought by valve due to copywrite

9. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    Cool models and page design, but whoever made this needs to put more thought into choice of words. If they're going to narrate the update through the Engineer, his way of talking really must be mastered, otherwise it just looks out of place. Not to mention the ideas are not very well thought out. A moveable dispenser and a Spy griefing gun... yay?

10. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    Oh yes, awesome, needs to be made official imo

11. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    I think he's trying to point out that it's copyright (as in, rights to copy), not copywrite (copying something with a pen, I guess?). :p

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    Well considering spies have had an engineer griefing weapon since day one, sure, I think it's fair. ;)

EDIT: Wait, I know. The spy can just stab himself a couple times to remove the nails. See? Balanced!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  13. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    The site doesn't even display properly in Chrome. Fail.

14. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    Displays fine for me in Chrome

Mach 4 is such a Stale-Mate map, i love the lighting in the base, but it´s just too restrictive

The gun looks neat, but the blimp is just fail strategy-wise, dispensers blow up fast as it is, and errecting a quick dispenser does only take seconds and 100 ammo.... no need for a fancy schenanigan that blows up in your face

15. PL-7764

PL-7764 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I made a fake Engy update once (just text though, so none of this fancy-pantsy PhotoShop business, and I never posted it anywhere anyway :p) which gave him a hot glue gun (essentially a short-range flare gun in its operation, with 30% chance to ignite the enemy and 100% chance of slowing them down for several seconds) and a device that could be placed on a building to make it un-sappable (it could be moved between buildings, but he only got one and shooting/whacking it a couple times would break it). The third item ... made buildings deal damage when demolished. Not hugely useful. :p

I saw a video once that claimed "the Scout update broke Mach4" - a FaN-carrying Scout could grab the intel and get back across the highest areas undetected in about 18 seconds round-trip. I've never played the map but from the video it didn't look like much fun if Scouts were involved.

I, like others, would like to know how to make pages like that. I've tried several things in PhotoShop but can't get that style down. :(

16. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    achievement_idle as a community map? Instant fake fail!

17. Hawk

Hawk L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Come on, it's what makes the update funny.

And I enjoy all these fake updates. It's obvious enough that they're fake, so it's just fun seeing other peoples' ideas for new features, especially when they put this much work into the presentation.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  18. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Great models, lots of behind-the scenes work, but bad ideas, face-posing and map-choice.

19. Jack Riguel

Jack Riguel L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Uhhhg... Mach4... really? Even as a joke it just seems... poor. And what is it with players wanting grenades back in TF2 again? I think valve pushed it enough with the demo and the sniper's jarate. And what would that EMP replace anyways? The shotgun or Pistol? I'd much rather have both of those any day...

Aside from that, and ignoring the silly gmod expressions, the update is pretty well made visually. It actually looks a lot better then that guard dog thing too... though not as original.

20. Dr. Spud

aa Dr. Spud Grossly Incandescent

Positive Ratings:
    These fake update pages are getting so fucking old.