Empty map file, after windows blue screen error

Ðoge

L1: Registered
Dec 14, 2019
I were making map for more than week to participate in upcoming contest. Finished on 40%. Due my unorganazing didn't create copies of versions. There is no auto saves and vmx is also empty. But the file size is sill there. Can somebody help me to some how restore, open or extract map from corrupted file. Thanks

edit* there is no bsp file too

Attachments

• Screenshot_1250.png
    Screenshot_1250.png
    558.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_1249.png
    Screenshot_1249.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

spruce

L2: Junior Member
Aug 14, 2022
As far as im aware, if you don't have any backup saves, your vmx file is empty and you have no BSP to decompile then I'm afraid it's all lost, sorry about that.

For next time i recommend enabling autosaves in options and compiling a few times so you at least have a decompile-able version

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
How do you know there are no autosaves? Do you have them disabled?
Upload the VMF here so we can check it out.

Ðoge

Dec 14, 2019
How do you know there are no autosaves? Do you have them disabled?
Upload the VMF here so we can check it out.
I double checked, for some reason there is no autosaves for that file. Thanks for your desire to help, but I already tried everything and deleted file at this morning. Gonna try to remake all the work in one week.

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Fish it out of your recycle bin.

Waffe

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 2, 2012
Looks like the file is just a bunch of null bytes (from beginning all the way to its end), so it has no data

1669902927144.png

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
That's very strange. Oh well.

@dhoge.33282:

For future references: Use autosaves. Keep the default settings (five backups fifteen minutes apart) because they are the best, all things considered. Make a note of where Hammer stores your autosaves.

Dropbox gives you 2 GB of free cloud storage space and built-in file versioning. If you store your VMFs in your Dropbox folder, if something goes wrong you can visit the Dropbox web site and download an older version. Syncing happens automatically in the background. It's free extra protection.

Ðoge

Dec 14, 2019
That's very strange. Oh well.

@dhoge.33282:

For future references: Use autosaves. Keep the default settings (five backups fifteen minutes apart) because they are the best, all things considered. Make a note of where Hammer stores your autosaves.

Dropbox gives you 2 GB of free cloud storage space and built-in file versioning. If you store your VMFs in your Dropbox folder, if something goes wrong you can visit the Dropbox web site and download an older version. Syncing happens automatically in the background. It's free extra protection.
Thanks for the tips