'ello there...

Nacimota

L1: Registered
Jan 18, 2011
My name is Nacimota, as the details to your right may suggest. That's pronounced with a soft C just by the way.

I've been dabbling in level design for quite a while now (since the mid 90s). There's something very satisfying about building a virtual world that you can share and explore with your friends before plunging a balisong into their spines.

I started in Duke Nukem 3D and a somewhat lesser known western FPS by LucasArts called Outlaws (which had a horrible level editor in my opinion) but I never really got into it until I stumbled upon Hammer while browsing the Half-Life CD in 2000 (well okay, it was actually called Worldcraft at the time, as I'm sure most of you know). Having used Hammer on and off for a decade now I'm confident enough with it to do more or less anything but I don't really think it's a great piece of software to begin with, in terms of user friendliness and so on. Occasionally I've poked the people at Valve to enquire about upgrades to Hammer (a plugin/scripting system would be fantastic) but I'm always disappointed by the response.

Not that I blame them; they have enough on their plate dealing with TF2, Portal 2, Episode 3 and whatever top secret projects they have going on up there. Perhaps people in the community would be interested in developing an open source alternative to Hammer? Or then again, perhaps not.

It would seem I am rambling. Despite my experience with Hammer I have only very recently made my first real TF2 map and I have to say I think it's coming along alright. It's a very turbine inspired CTF-like concoction and I think I have the overall layout complete. All that needs to be done now is the art direction which I fear will ruin the map as soon as I start...

Anyway I thought I'd pop on over here and see what other mappers in the TF2 community are up to these days and maybe stay for the long run if I manage not to step on anyone's toes.

Last edited:

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
hi and welcome. i see you're in the chat already engaging with other members :)

+rep on the House AV

red_flame586

L420: High Member
Apr 19, 2009
Hey welcome to the forums...

Someone some time was talking about making a hammer alternative, though that didn't get anywhere so i think people will have to deal with it. It's not that bad a piece of software anyway when you get to know it.

Anyway, once again, welcome and I hope you enjoy mapping for tf2

Feb 17, 2009

Click the image to get more info about mapping!
wink.png