Egypt textures?

AntonJ3000

I am inactive and make horrible maps
Oct 29, 2008
I just found the awesome textures used in egypt, but I have a question:
Am I allowed to use the egypt textures in my map, or do I have to like ask the author?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
No any content made by whoever, when packed into a valve update, is purchased and owned by valve. Which means aaaalll the new content is fair game :thumbup:

Fearlezz

L10: Glamorous Member
May 4, 2008
wow cant wait to see some egypt payload maps, maybe transform borax to one? :p

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
I, for one, do NOT want to see too many egypt themed map. It's a very restricted theme (at least given the content we have) and there aren't really a lot of ways you can make it different.

Nosher

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 3, 2008
I just found the awesome textures used in egypt, but I have a question:
Am I allowed to use the egypt textures in my map, or do I have to like ask the author?

I would certainly acknowledge it when you release your map - although it is available, the map was made by a amateur mapper, and not something that Valve sold you as a package - just my 3 new english pennies worth.....

Nosh

Uriak

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Apr 27, 2008
ha I was wondering about this topic. Someone told me that valve bought the content but I had to check this out.

Since there is at last a palm tree available , I guess I'll do a massive overhaul of my old map Casablanca... :p

trainRiderJ

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 14, 2008
I agree, too many egypt maps might be overkill. I can see at least one good map of each type (SP,PL,Arena)

And too many desert themed maps wouldn't be overkill?

I say make your map however you want to make it, and if it's good enough no one will care if there's another map with a similar aesthetic.

Apom

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 14, 2008
I find the Egypt texture pack to critically lack a rockwall texture: besides the bricks and other man-made materials, there are only sand textures, good for flat ground but not cliffs. Does anyone with the ability to texture have plans to create one? It's not really a request, I'll do plain dunes if nobody's on it, but I figured I'd ask.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
I, for one, do NOT want to see too many egypt themed map. It's a very restricted theme (at least given the content we have) and there aren't really a lot of ways you can make it different.

I don't agree. It doesn't all have to be like cp_egypt - you could combine it with the RED structures for example, to create an archeaological site, including tombs filled with spytech and such.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
And too many desert themed maps wouldn't be overkill?

I say make your map however you want to make it, and if it's good enough no one will care if there's another map with a similar aesthetic.

My point being that 'eyptian theme' is a very pigeon-holed theme.

Desert on the other hand is pretty wide open. Lot's of places/locations can be in a desert (including egypt) but it's harder to fit more varying locations into a theme such as egypt.

I haven't looked at the resources in Hammer yet, just in the map. I'm sure there are textures that can be used that don't say 'egpyt'. But anything that has glyphs, or any props that are specifically egyptian will be good for pyramids, excavation sites, tombs... But not so much for mines, industrial sites, etc....

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
Sgt Frag got my point right. The valve themes are generic climate/geographic themes and can be bent to imply anywhere or anything you want. With this stuff as soon as you drop in a pyramid or hieroglyphs it becomes "oh hi its ancient egypt"

Apom

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 14, 2008
This is arguable. I tend to think that architecture has as much, or even more, implications on geographic/historic location than the textures you actually use. Of course, if you plant a couple of pyramids and make a hieroglyphed tomb entrance, then as you say "oh hi ancient Egypt".

But, if you use the textures on a shape that has nothing in common with ancient Egypt, then I do'nt think it automatically implies it. For instance, take a look at this item I'm working on. Maybe you'll think differently, but to me it certainly does not scream "ancient egypt", although the textures are 100% egypt/. materials.

attachment.php

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
I personally don't even think cp_egypt fits TF2. Good for 1 map, and what a quality map, but I certainly am not waiting for more Egyptian styled maps.

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
You all just got owned by apom.
What? How?

Having the hieroglyphs on it creates a thematic clash. Egypt doesn't have arches like that and the Egyptian language isn't anywhere else. Any other accent texture and it would be fine since the rest is generic, but those just make the whole thing seem "off" and less-than-optimal.
The exception with thematic clashes like this is if a theme is purposely being designed to redefine something, such as steampunk redefining the 20th century as having developed into steam based technology instead of oil and electricity. If steampunk ends up outside of that redefining theme it is "off".

Dan2025

L2: Junior Member
Aug 29, 2008
I think an Egyptian themed map can work very well. The problem with Egypt (or so I've heard. I've yet to play the map myself :( ) is that it seems to consist entirely of one setting. If you mixed it with spytech and created some kind of hidden mad scientist lab inside a pyramid I think people would be much more open to it.