Egypt Ruined Block Piles

Model Egypt Block Piles 1.0

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Tired of spending forever orienting stupid little blocks to make something that players probably won't even notice? Annoyed at how even the tiniest pile of brush-based ruins creates 50 gazillion waterindices?

Well, no more! Use these simple models to quickly slap down an entire freaking field of ruins if you want!

screenshot_egypt_piles_f7M.jpg

Six variants, six skins (two egypt, grey, lichen, red, pale red). The first two skins use the existing Egypt textures to lower the overhead when packing in custom content in your map.

Intended to work with the Khmer Ruins Textures, so if you're using those in your map, you won't have to pack in additional textures either.

Only the larger blocks are represented in the collision mesh, so players don't have to worry about getting caught on the tiny rocks (though depending on use, you may still need to properly clip these props or make them non-solid).

Created in XSI when playing around with physics simulations. :)

Kep

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Oh, and as always, let me know if I forgot something in the zip or screwed something up.

Kep

ricardojvc6

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 8, 2009
wouldn't this also... could be made by blocks.. like... brush tool then texture

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
wouldn't this also... could be made by blocks.. like... brush tool then texture

Original Post said:
Tired of spending forever orienting stupid little blocks to make something that players probably won't even notice? Annoyed at how even the tiniest pile of brush-based ruins creates 50 gazillion waterindices?

Faster to use than brushes, no waterindices, no invalid brushes due to small size.

[edit] N-n-n-ninja'd!

Kep

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
All of these words "cheap" "free" "simple" don't necessarily imply that you should lower your usual standard, don't you think ?
I'm really not trying to be harsh, but I was kinda disappointed, because I expected some rather beloved and detailled stones in the same way you're usually doing your stuff.
I mean there should and could be so much more little cracks, dents and stuff on these stones, in my opinion.

Check out Rexy's awesome work on the loot-map-thing:
http://www.alexkreeger.com/mayan.html

It's only little irregularities on these stones but it kinda makes the difference, don't you think ?
Also I think the edges of the stones should be brighter outlined not have the dark/almost black outline - the other way round than you have it right now.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
These were just something I was playing with in a physics simulation. I asked Yyler if he could use them, he said yes, so here they are. They're not portfolio pieces or even a planned release.

Also, the "cheap" and "free" thing has nothing to do with the model. It's a joke based on the TF2 release promos.

[Edit] Sorry, this sounded harsher than intended. I'm having a rough day, but... basically this was just a random "oh I have something that might work for you" thing, not a "let me make a new model" thing. :)

Kep

Last edited:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Based on the fact that cp_egypt just uses brushwork bricks that look almost identical, I have no complaints. I don't really think little things like this need to be over detailed anyway.