Editing the ABS FGD, or, Using Bad Textures on Purpose

Atasco

L2: Junior Member
Aug 7, 2017
So I —like most— am using the ABS FGD to vastly improve the experience of making maps for TF2. It solves a lot of problems, like not having appropriate icons for things, better accessibility, and also hiding textures that shouldn't be used as brush face textures. A lot of the "help, why my texture bad" posts on here are as a result of that person not using ABS, and thus, using a model or weapon texture on accident.

But… what if I wanted to use those "bad" textures? Since they're made into exceptions in the FGD, I can't even see them in hammer, nor am I able to tell hammer what not to except. With some googling and poking around, I've figured out the why, but not the how. TL;DR, If I wanted to try using those extra textures, for weird effects or just to experiment, how would I go about editing the FGD files?

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
You need to look into the tf.fgd and modify the very first section at the top
Code:
@MaterialExclusion
[
    // Names of the sub-directories we don't want to load materials from
    "ambulance"
    "backpack"
    "cable"
    "console"
    "cp_bloodstained"
    "customcubemaps"
    "detail"
    "debug"
    "effects"
    "engine"
    "environment maps"
    "halflife"
    "matsys_regressiontest"
    "hlmv"
    "hud"
    "logo"
    "maps"
    "models"
    "overviews"
    "particle"
    "particles"
    "perftest"
    "pl_halfacre"
    "pl_hoodoo"
    "scripted"
    "shadertest"
    "sprites"
    "sun"
    "vgui"
    "voice"
]

That's the list of excluded directories. You can remove any of them to explore that directory in Hammer.

If you do find textures you like tho, I encourage you to make a custom vmt with the appropriate shader. Like with LightmappedGeneric instead of vertexLitGeneric.

Atasco

L2: Junior Member
Aug 7, 2017
Thank you!! :D
I'll comment some of those, and try them out <3 If I do find some textures that are good by themselves, I might update this thread with them.