Editing existing textures?

Shogun

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 31, 2014
Yo. I was thinking about editing the Egyptian block textures a little bit, maybe to achieve greater variation in team colors, I dunno. Anyway, what I want to know is where the Egypt textures, and I assume all the other textures, are located so I can open 'em up and edit them, then I'm assuming resave them as something new and use packrat to pack them into the bsp if I release the map.

Thanks, pretty sure this question wasn't answered anywhere else on the web, but I appoligize if this is something really easy and well known.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
To find the vmt's, open up tf2_misc_dir.vpk in gcfscape. To get the vtf's you want tf2_textures_dir.vpk.

All the egypt ones are in materials/egypt I believe.

Depending on what edits you want to make, creating a new vmt is the most efficient because it's just a text file. You won't be able to modify the actual pixels but you can do tints and stuff.

Shogun

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 31, 2014
To find the vmt's, open up tf2_misc_dir.vpk in gcfscape. To get the vtf's you want tf2_textures_dir.vpk.

All the egypt ones are in materials/egypt I believe.

I've got GCFScape opened up, but I can't seem to find this. Where is it located?

Oh, and tints/ hue edititing is all I plan to do, so that worked out nicely I suppose.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
In your tf directory, there's a ton of .vpk files in there but you need to open the _dir.vpk ones to properly get the file list.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Specifically, "Team Fortress 2 Textures" has the bitmaps, and "Team Fortress 2 Misc" has the materials.