Editing existing models

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
I'm wondering how (if its possible, of course) I could go about editing existing TF2 models. For example, I like the traincar rockets model (the 3 stack and then strapped down), but it lacks a collision model. Or, I'm using a lamp in one of my maps, but I find it doesn't hang down far enough, so I want to lengthen the cord. I'm just looking for what I would have to do to get a model into the Mod Tool (preferably with the textures still intact) to begin editing it. Everything else, I'm aware of where the tutorials are. Thanks :-D

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
Well, what you'd have to do is use GFCscape to extract the desired model from the TF2 game data. Then you would have to use 3D modeling software to change it. Then you would have to go through the lengthy process of recompiling the model, which usually involves running it through XSI Mod Tool and the compiling programs that come with the Source SDK. Then you would have a properly changed custom model.

Now, if you really only want to change the collision (as with the traincar rockets), you're better off just setting the model to "no collision" and then placing clipping brushes where you want them. But any visual changes would have to take the process I've described.

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
How would I get the model, once I've extracted it (what are the relevant files, btw) into a modeling program (I'm using Mod Tool, since its free, and thats what I've found tutorials for), preferably with the textures intact and correctly placed? As for the rest of it, I've already read your Tutorial, and I'm sure I can do that.

I've considered just adding a brush to the rockets, and have in the past, but in the future it would save me time to just have a complete model (the amount of stuff we have the is broken/missing pieces is amazing), and then I'd also be able to alter existing models so that they better suit my needs.

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
I've never done it before, so you'll probably have to gleam several tutorials on the subject. I don't even know if GFCscape will bring out the collision model. I kind of think it's an especially inconvenient process just for a minor change like an altered lamp. And I especially think the rocket collision is not worth it. But it's open for you to explore. I've told you about all I can of the process, having never done it myself.