Dynamic Weather

Thymopat

L1: Registered
Sep 25, 2014
Hey all,

I searched TF2Maps.net and the internet for dynamic weather and didn´t find some good posts. Is it possible to make dynamic weather? Maybe it´s possible to change a skybox ingame, or change day and night in a regular interval.

Thanks in advance

Izotope

Sourcerer
aa
May 13, 2013
I don't think you can actually change these things.

But you can make it appear to be changing, little cheating.
You could have a huge skymodel that blocks the regular skybox or something like that
Valve did this in the halloween maps for the underworld/hell.

as for the weather, you could use custom particles,
I've only seen the map vsh_crevice use particles for rain.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Sawmill uses particles for rain though >_>

Yes, you can do it. Fake the skybox by creating a huge box around your sky_camera and use enable/disable or skin to change it. Lighting is harder, changing env_lighting has a lot of problems so you're better of faking it with powerful spotlights. Weather you can easily do by just turning on and off particle systems though.

Thymopat

L1: Registered
Sep 25, 2014
I don't think you can actually change these things.

But you can make it appear to be changing, little cheating.
You could have a huge skymodel that blocks the regular skybox or something like that
Valve did this in the halloween maps for the underworld/hell.

as for the weather, you could use custom particles,
I've only seen the map vsh_crevice use particles for rain.

Sawmill uses particles for rain though >_>

Yes, you can do it. Fake the skybox by creating a huge box around your sky_camera and use enable/disable or skin to change it. Lighting is harder, changing env_lighting has a lot of problems so you're better of faking it with powerful spotlights. Weather you can easily do by just turning on and off particle systems though.

Thanks for the help I will try to build this features in my map. If I have any further question I will write some replies :D