Dynamic models, gibs, orientation and explosions...

Tehrasha

L3: Member
Nov 5, 2009
I have a custom model, that is destined to be destroyed at the end of the round.
I have also modeled the seperate bits and pieces (gibs) for when it is blown apart.

Here is where it gets fun....
The original model is dynamic. Its orientation is changing constantly.
Is there a way to 'transfer' the orientation information to the gib-model and associated func_physbox, so it looks more natural coming apart?

Shameless plug.... This is the model (8 models actually) that will be flying apart.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJRc4MC_0oQ"]YouTube- SourceSDK -- Doomsday Machine v.3[/ame]

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
That looks hella cool.

Tehrasha

Nov 5, 2009
I always thought that functionality was built-in. I mean, it works with the barrels.

Isnt that because barrels are physics props, and are setup as destructable?

Currently I have two version of the above.
The intact rings that you see in the video (8 models) and several pieces that I want them to come apart into (20 models).

The intact rings are non-solid, non-physic as there is no need for them to interact or collide with anything. The pieces are physics_props.

At some point, I will need to kill the intact rings and spawn the pieces in the same orientation... thats the part I dont know how to do. If I use a point_template to spawn the gibs, they will spawn in a fixed orientation, which would look wrong.

Jan 20, 2010
Jesus christ, that thing is awesome. O_O You should make a 5 point one.

Tehrasha

Nov 5, 2009
Jesus christ, that thing is awesome. O_O You should make a 5 point one.

5 point capture? Currently the map is heading toward 3 stage capture, though payload is a posibility.
5 rings? There needs to be SOME open space in the middle. :)
5 rotation axis? The original prototype was 5 axis suspended between two side pivots.

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
And then everybody die.

On a serious note I bet I could try to math something that could spawn em if I knew what size and shape the gibs were.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
I think you're going to need a specific animation sequence for immediately prior to the explosion. Then your rings will be in expected locations so that the gibs always come from the same position. Certainly it'd be easier to sync up two animations than an explosion occuring at an unknown point in an animation cycle?

Heh. Might also by very cool if the rings were to quickly stop spinning, each in sequence, in the couple of seconds before the explosion.

Also, hella cool. Reminds me of Stargate a bit. Egyptian theme for the map? :D

Kep

Tehrasha

Nov 5, 2009
Actually, I am getting closer!

The ValveDevWiki has everything you need, and sometimes too much! :)

For a while it looked as if I needed to have a prop_physics model in order to generate prop_physics gibs. This wouldnt be a problem, except that if I use prop_physics on my rings, I cannot parent them to the rotating mechanism.

Valve Dev Wiki--Creating Custom Gibs

The needed part was adding the $collisiontext section to the .qc file.
But in the example, the prop is question also includes $keyvalues { "prop_data") which would make it a prop_physics!

Even the wiki page for $collisiontext questioned if prop_data was required for use. The page has since been updated, after my entry confirming that it is NOT required.

Prop_dynamic models can generate prop_physics gibs, simply by adding the appropriate $collisiontext to its .qc and recompiling.

Yay!

So now my rings come apart into pieces when they 'break'...which then fall straight down to the ground... So now I need to figure out how to 'push' them with an explosion.

So close.

Last edited:

OlafK

L2: Junior Member
Sep 12, 2009
It reminds me a movie when machine like this is used to fly to Vega or something. Cool.

Tehrasha

Nov 5, 2009
It reminds me a movie when machine like this is used to fly to Vega or something. Cool.

Lots of inspiration for this...

'The Machine' from Contact
'Ragnarok Engine' from Hellboy
'Blackhole Engine' from Event Horizon
'Full Immersion VR Gyro' from Lawnmower Man
Heck, even 'Ezekiel Wheels' (wheels within wheels within wheels) from the Bible.

See Also :: TVTropes -- When Things Spin, Science Happens
(The Engie's teleporter spins too!) :)

env_physexplosion

I didnt know whether it would be easier to use that, or mess with the 'burst' variable in the .qc file.

Last edited: