KotH Dustlands A4

My first TF2 map

1. Aizak

Aizak L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Desert - My first TF2 map

I just recently started maping and after a few days of fighting with hammer i made something that well ... looks like a map

• Like Like x 2
  2. G.bo

G.bo L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Congratulations on publishing your first map! I say publish, because there have been plenty of maps that I've worked on that have not even came close to being playable. Whenever I see a first map, I try to give constructive feedback for the creator to work off of: "two heads are better than one," as they say. I'll start by explaining what is a problem, why it is problematic, and then how you can solve it, both currently and in the future.

First Issue
    To start, probably the most noticeable issue is scaling. I say it's the biggest, as it is responsible for so many other problems, such as too open or too cramped fighting areas, having players have to go either too far or not far enough, or even how violent of a high ground advantage some areas have. To summarize what it has to do with your map, there are various areas where there is too much open flat land (ex. spawn courtyard, plains around capture point) and the height is fairly aggressive (ex. capture point platform, platform above point.) Luckily, this issue isn't a technical one, so it's already far easier to fix than other ones.

For the open areas, it can be as simple as decreasing the amount of space the players have access to, but as complicated as rerouting or removing entire flank routes for the main path to work. That being said, the best way (in my opinion) to see if your map is too big or too small is by timing how long it takes certain classes to reach the capture point. For example, in the first (and currently only) version of my map Nightflower, I timed how long it took heavy to walk to mid, as he's the slowest class. Needless to say, I was disappointed when I realized that my 20 second walk time was twice as long as the walk time on Viaduct. Long story short, you just need to decrease how much space there is in some of the larger sections. I'd go more into this, but I'm already writing a lot, so I'll leave it at that.

Rather than give you another big paragraph on how to deal with height, I'm just gonna list some measurement references and say what I think you should do to fix some things. The highest distance a player can fall without taking fall damage is 256 hammer units, and the highest a player can jump (without crouch jumping) is 48 hammer units. Basically, either lower the platform above the middle point so that players don't take fall damage from trying to reach the point, or put something you could land on higher than the point but below the platform.

Other Issues
    Alright, I just realized this is probably a lot to read, so I'm gonna make the rest of my points fairly simple. The spawn seems easy to camp since the two doors are right next to each other; just add more ways out, maybe move the spawn building a bit past the fence to give the building more depth. The capture point seems too challenging to reach since there's only two staircases leading up to it; make the staircases wider/lower the point by like half. The middle building seems way big; make it a little smaller.

If you're still reading this, take all this with a side of salt; I am in no way a professional, but I have had experience. If you don't feel like making any of these changes, that's perfectly fine, as it's your map and you should get to decide what happens with it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Aizak

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks G.bo for giving my map a chanche i hope i fixed all the stuff u pointed out

actuall change notes :
    Bigger shacks
    mid area is slighty biger
    spawns now have third exit
    aded some cactai
    the side building in now slightly smaler

Thanks !

Read the rest of this update entry...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Aizak

Positive Ratings:
    Welp i made a few mistakes like broken spectator cameras and few minor anoying little things they are now fixed (I hope)
    Added some more cactai just dont touch them (unless you like acupuncture)
    Thats all thanks !

Read the rest of this update entry...

5. Aizak

Positive Ratings:
  6. Aizak

Positive Ratings:
  7. Aizak

Positive Ratings:
  8. Aizak