Duplicate of 2fort's bridge

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by JustAHorrible, May 5, 2012.

1. JustAHorrible

JustAHorrible L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I've working on my ocean map for the last hour, and I said to myself, "How are we going to make this realistic, rather than having a floating bridge of nothing?". My answer, "Use bridge supports". So far, I manage to the supports, however I don't know how to find the base that is used for the bridge in ctf_2fort (if you even ask to know what it looks like, boot up TF2 and find a server with it, dummy). Right now, I am using player clips to try to keep them up there as a placeholder.

I've been wondering which texture or model is being used for the bridge in ctf_2fort which is in the center of the map. I've been searching around but couldn't find anything pertaining to my topic of confusion. The last place to ask is not Google, but rather this forum.

So what model/texture is being used? :/

2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Just search 2fort in the model browser.

And for future reference, you should really either google your question FIRST, then try our chatroom on steam, then make a post. If you ahve a lot of questions (and google doesn't have your answer/can't get into chat) try and keep them all to 1 thread. It's easier for you to manage, keeps the forums less cluttered, and is just generally just proper forum practice.

3. JustAHorrible

Positive Ratings:
    Sorry for being such a jerk. I tried Model Viewer, but probably missed it. I'll do it again.

4. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Nah, it's not being a jerk. I just wanted to point it out :p

just being helpful.

5. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    If by base you mean the walking surface, it is the only part of the bridge that is simply brushes. One of the woodplank materials.

6. Dr. Spud

aa Dr. Spud Grossly Incandescent

Positive Ratings:
    The easiest thing to do would be to open up the 2fort vmf Valve provides and see it directly in-editor.

7. JustAHorrible

Positive Ratings:
    I once ran TF2, a painting editor software, and the internet with a chat open at 90% RAM and it didn't feel that lagging. However, when I loaded that map first to see the desk model, I noticed the increase of RAM and CPU usage, because of the lag and the gadget I downloaded off of Microsoft's website for Windows 7 Desktop.

8. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Try turning off lights and tool textures in the VisGroups panel and seeing if that helps you out.

9. Dr. Spud

aa Dr. Spud Grossly Incandescent

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah definitely use visgroups to help lag issues in Hammer on big maps. Sometimes it's barely possible to navigate around the official maps without turning non-essential things off.

If that's not enough use the Cordon tool so that only the middle of the map is drawn.
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Cordon

10. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    I thought that makes lag worse in the old version of Hammer, because of some stupid bug.

11. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    I think you're thinking of radius culling. Different tool.

12. ics

aa ics http://ics-base.net

Positive Ratings:
    Besides turning visgroups off, you do also know that pressing 1 in hammer decreases field of vision and pressing 2 increases it. (the black border line). Makes it less laggy.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Stupid too!