Dubious Re-Developments (A question about the leaked TF2 maps)

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
With the recent repo leak releasing a slew of unfinished/abandoned Valve maps, there's been a few people wanting to edit the included maps; whether they plan to entirely rework the maps how they see fit, make a few minor changes and fixes, or somewhere in-between. With the maps being illegally obtained, this is risky in a way that editing the finished Valve maps isn't.

Where does the TF2Maps staff (as well as the entire mapping community as a whole) stand on this? Is there a zero-tolerance for edits/reworks of the leaked maps? Is there some leeway for more dramatic revisions?

Solution
We aren't allow redistribution of the leak files on our platform, and editing the maps is where it gets tricky. We're figuring it out with valve regarding if these files can be used at all because, like Lacry already brought up, some of the maps are at a 5% finished state and need another 95% worth of work put into them so it could be overlooked compared to something like the mostly finished maps discovered. We understand the educational benefit when it comes to these files which is why right now we are allowing screenshots and discussion of the maps/assets but not links/files. Trust me I and many others want to see these maps worked on more, but we have to be careful.

To answer your question snickers. It's complicated and we want to...
Oct 15, 2018
I would say that since these maps were never officially released and due to the illegal and dubious nature of their acquisition, I would suggest that a zero tolerance policy should be implemented imo, as whilst the leaked content was from a while ago (2008-2015 right?), the content of the leaks were never publicly released and thus should be treated as though we were never meant to have them (we weren't)

Waffe

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 2, 2012
(Note: I'm not a lawyer.) If Valve does not want the leak distributed, using the leaked content for a map might be ruled as copyright infringement. If the content is reworked enough to be "transformative" in fair use law, maybe it can technically, legally be allowed to be distributed. However, determining this is done case-by-case and probably is not something the tf2maps staff wants to worry about.

Last edited:

Lacry

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 25, 2019
To be honest this is a question I always have with unused videogame content, in which state of copyright those are? It's something i never see anyone talk. In this case, I think it would be "illegal" to upload those around and the workshop, even if it's an edited halloween/smissmas version, but i dont think there is any issue with beign inspired or taking those maps as a reference.

For example, one of the leaked maps it's a zeppelin in a very early state, i dont think there is any issue with making a map from scratch that take some cues from it (i guess it also depends the state of the map, some maps are way more finished than other ones).

nesman

master of fast travel
aa
Jun 27, 2016
We aren't allow redistribution of the leak files on our platform, and editing the maps is where it gets tricky. We're figuring it out with valve regarding if these files can be used at all because, like Lacry already brought up, some of the maps are at a 5% finished state and need another 95% worth of work put into them so it could be overlooked compared to something like the mostly finished maps discovered. We understand the educational benefit when it comes to these files which is why right now we are allowing screenshots and discussion of the maps/assets but not links/files. Trust me I and many others want to see these maps worked on more, but we have to be careful.

To answer your question snickers. It's complicated and we want to tread carefully but not hinder the creative process here.

Solution