Drain

FiLi

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 14, 2009
CTF DRAIN

STANDARD CTF

I tried to make this sort of like an underground Turbine, without ripping it off a lot.

My first entry, Ctf Reactor, was unplayable, and therefore scrapped. The thread is now gone.

If you play please post me feedback
Known problems are in the .txt file.

Read signs carefully. The water is toxic ;)
NOTE: WATER DOES NOT INSTA-KILL

Last edited:

E.B.

L1: Registered
Mar 15, 2009
Hard to tell much from the pictures, but I can think of two things:

1) Think about raising the roof. I understand comp. players get pretty good at jumping around, but on your map it looks like a lot of possibilities are cut off thanks to much of the playable area being either empty or at ceiling level. Oh, and if you wanted detail, you could even cut a hole in the ceiling to the surface for lighting purposes. Or a big grate or something. The mind boggles.

2) Think about doing away with the deathtrap. To quote nodraw.net's article on mapping for competitive play,
Here are some common pitfalls that make maps undesirable to 6v6 players:

Insta-death and other environmental hazards. The joy of fighting in tf2, as opposed to CS or MW, is that a battle is decided by DM skill rather than ‘who sees who first;' insta-death regions are very polar in the sense that once you hit one, you’re done, no more fight involved.

MangyCarface said that, and I think he knows a leetle bit more about competitive play than you do pal, because he invented it! And then he perfected it, so that no living man could best him in the tf2lobby! And then he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth...

Okay, back on topic. You could replace it with a steep-sided drainage ditch that only has a couple exits. This would become kinda like a deathtrap since it would be easily spammed into and hard to get out of, but without that whole insta-kill thing.
If you're really bound and determined to keep the deathtrap, change the color of the water to something obviously toxic, like bright green, or black and bubbling, or something. Most every other map that has water in the gameplay area uses it for swimming/extinguishing, rather than instant death.

Otherwise, the map may well be fine. I kinda like Turbine when there's not too many people on it, so I'll have to check this out once you release!

Last edited:

FiLi

Nov 14, 2009
The water does not insta-kill, it only hurts about 1 damage every 2 seconds. It does this because I wanted it to originally be something that blocks your view, but I couldn't come up with something fitting enough, so now the water does a little bit of damage when it is touched. I will make it more apparent however.

Geal

Aug 16, 2009
This isn't like turbine, this IS turbine. I don't mean to be rude, but it's almost like you cloned turbine then made it three times bigger. You definitely need to scale pretty much EVERYTHING down, and edit the layout to be more original. There's no real reason to play this over Turbine, unless you REALLY freaking love underground maps. If you intend to not too many major layout changes, at least make it so that there are more ways to get into the intel room for attackers. There's the direct route on the ground, and all the other seem to go in front of the enemy spawn, which is always a recepie for disaster.

I like the center area, with the water and the giant pipe. Way too big, but I still like it.