Chaos

L1: Registered
Mar 31, 2022
So its been a while since my last post. I've recently gotten a new pc and am trying my hand at mapping again. I'm currently trying to use Hammer++ and compile pal to do a previous idea. I don't know what's wrong with wrong with this stupid map. But this is the second attempt at making a Halloween variant of CTF_doublecross.

Despite the compile finishing ok, TF2 just hard crashes to desktop when I try to load it.

All I've done are the following.

- Added a train
- Adjusted the skybox texture and the soundscapes.
- Added the HHH

That's it!

It's exactly the same as my first attempt, but this time I haven't even touched the map at all!

My previous compiles of this attempt were fine. Until I tried to redo the train and
HHH, as at first; The train's actual model wouldn't show up, and the HHH was nowhere to be seen. Also the map was completely silent. Not sure why.

My only ideas as to why it's crashing, is that it's some kind of brush error. As my only major changes are the following:

1: I had to make two groups of func_details into something else. One to the world, and one to func_brush.

2: I had to adjust and add more brushes to accommodate for some errors. (Such as moving a skybox/nodraw so the func_Train wasn't inside it. And adjusting skybox brushes to close potential leaks and areas off)

^ I only had to do these, because compile's failed due to "Too many T-junctions to fix up".

EDIT:
I thought of seeing if I could get a crash log, in order to see what might be going wrong. Most I got was a console.log file which contains what console was putting out up until the game crashed. A copy of this has been attached into the zip file below, along with a txt file containing a compile log.

Attachments

• log.zip
    5.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
This looks rather fishy:
Warning: area portal has 512 verts. Could be a vbsp bug.​

As do all these but I still haven't worked out if it's related to models, displacements or anything else:
make_triangles:calc_triangle_representation: Cannot convert​
-0.279400 -2.044524 0.000000​
0.355600 -1.986289 0.000000​
0.355600 -2.044524 0.000000​
-0.355600 -2.044524 0.000000​

Normally when I have problems like this, I do several compiles and cut down stuff each time. I use the Auto VisGroups to disable various types of entities and tool textures at once, then do a quick compile to see if the game crashes. It's worth noting that you probably don't need to run VRAD, but you should test that to see if the map still crashes without it before you go ahead and start hiding stuff.

I suggest beginning by hiding area portals, displacements, then tool textures.
You need to leave at least one point entity in the map for it to compile, so you should probably leave the lights alone as they're not likely to cause this sort of problem in my experience.

If this doesn't help you, you can use the cordon tool to compile sections of the map at a time. I suggest cutting the compiled space down by half each time. So to start, cordon off one half of the map, then cordon off half of the remainder, and so on. Once the map stops crashing, you'll know which part has the offending object, and you can start hiding individual things.

Chaos

Mar 31, 2022
This looks rather fishy:
Warning: area portal has 512 verts. Could be a vbsp bug.​

As do all these but I still haven't worked out if it's related to models, displacements or anything else:
make_triangles:calc_triangle_representation: Cannot convert​
-0.279400 -2.044524 0.000000​
0.355600 -1.986289 0.000000​
0.355600 -2.044524 0.000000​
-0.355600 -2.044524 0.000000​

Normally when I have problems like this, I do several compiles and cut down stuff each time. I use the Auto VisGroups to disable various types of entities and tool textures at once, then do a quick compile to see if the game crashes. It's worth noting that you probably don't need to run VRAD, but you should test that to see if the map still crashes without it before you go ahead and start hiding stuff.

I suggest beginning by hiding area portals, displacements, then tool textures.
You need to leave at least one point entity in the map for it to compile, so you should probably leave the lights alone as they're not likely to cause this sort of problem in my experience.

If this doesn't help you, you can use the cordon tool to compile sections of the map at a time. I suggest cutting the compiled space down by half each time. So to start, cordon off one half of the map, then cordon off half of the remainder, and so on. Once the map stops crashing, you'll know which part has the offending object, and you can start hiding individual things.
So I thought about what you said. And I took the few gameplay components, I had wanted/added. (Wheel of doom, the HHH, and a train) I copied them onto a separate map, and tested them. Only they worked fine, I even refined them to work the way I wanted.

This means I still don't know what's causing the game to crash. Or how to fix it.

I'll keep working on it.

EDIT:

I looked at this

"As do all these but I still haven't worked out if it's related to models, displacements or anything else:
make_triangles:calc_triangle_representation: Cannot convert
-0.279400 -2.044524 0.000000
0.355600 -1.986289 0.000000
0.355600 -2.044524 0.000000
-0.355600 -2.044524 0.000000"

And those coordinates relate to the middle of the bridge with the sand that truck spilled, I had accidentally moved those displacements and and moved them back into place. Other than that the only thing that's there are my devices and whatnot. I went ahead and deleted them.

Last edited:

Chaos

Mar 31, 2022
Update. I used another double cross copy and copied over my refined elements. And the map works fine. My only issue now is I can't seem to get the horseman to stop spawning. he's set to spawn randomly 30-60 seconds. But I have no idea how to set it so that only one instance can be active at a time. Also I don't know if the wheel of doom can be rotated.... < I figured that out

Last edited: