Dota 2: Reborn

Discussion in 'Games Talk' started by KubeKing, Jun 13, 2015.

1. KubeKing

Server Staff KubeKing dan's birthday was fun too

Positive Ratings:
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  2. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    Now we have to hammer it into Valve's mind TF2 needs it next. Start on an experimental build now so we can have a stable Source 2 release in about a year, and not in 2020.

3. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    TF2 on S2 isn't going to happen. The game doesn't make as much money or attract as big an audience as dota or csgo, it's much more hacked-together, and Valve have actually said they don't plan on remaking TF2 in a new engine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    I bet the main reason Dota 2 is even getting a Source 2 upgrade is because Valve wants a "flagship" game for the engine, and making a new game from scratch would be a lot more work/time than they can afford. It's also easily the most popular and easiest to convert of their existing franchises. I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if any other currently-existing games get the same treatment.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Aren't getting it "anytime soon."

Granted, in Valve time, that probably means never.

6. DonutVikingChap

DonutVikingChap L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Woot!

I just hope they're not gonna keep Source 2 a Dota-only thing for long, I want to try my hand at making a mod/game for it!

7. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    What's this mean for all the workshop items? Can those be ported, do you think?

HL3 canceled

8. Vincent

aa Vincent 🔨 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi 🔨

Positive Ratings:
    I couldn't imagine they would just break all of Dota 2's community items with an engine upgrade. That'd really be shooting themselves in the foot.

9. CommodoreKong

aa CommodoreKong

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah the comp players that visited Valve said that TF2 wasn't getting a Source 2 port anytime soon but it was kinda weird how they answered the question, they really didn't want to talk about it and wanted to move on as fast as possible. It's possible they were told more then they were allowed to say, either positive news (like a possible release date for the Tf2 version of Source 2) or negative news (it's a possibility but it probably wont happen) since they were very open about answering everything else.

They also said the TF2 team felt there wasn't really a need for it, then later said that a lot of newer Valve employees work on TF2, which is weird because if you have a lot of new employees work on TF2 and all future Valve games are going to use Source 2 you would think they would want TF2 to be in Source 2 so they don't have to train the new employees on Source 1, then train them on Source 2 when they move off of TF2. You would think you would want all current in development projects at Valve to be on the same version of Source so employees could more freely move between projects.

10. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    That crew has clarified it outside of that one weird stream they did. Basically Valve doesn't see any need for it right now.

11. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    It would certainly break a lot of things, like literally every community map for starters (not that there's much of an audience left for those anyway, outside of trade maps).

12. Anreol

Anreol L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well, we have Dota 2: Reborn (Or Dota 3, OMG, Gaben learned how to count to 3)
    Aaaand maybe L4D3, we already got a video of a mansion in Source 2. And it was listed on a Valve... to-do list, (?) with Source 2

13. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Is it possible to download Dota 2 Reborn without downloading the entire original version first? I assume there are separate versions of every single asset in each.

14. Hotel Detective

Hotel Detective L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Dota 2 Reborn is now just Dota 2.

15. Jethro

Jethro MUSty Complainer

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, two weeks ago they disabled the old Source 1 version of Dota 2, now it's all Source 2.

16. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    OK, good. The last official announcement is still the one that it would be happening "soon", so I didn't know it had already happened.

17. saph

aa saph crossword blues

Positive Ratings:
    Isn't it interesting that S2 uses Vulkan which isn't released yet? Is there high-level encoding to protect the unreleased API or is S2 not running at its full potential yet?

And yes, Valve probably won't port TF2 over to S2 for a while. I think the only reason Valve loves Dota 2 is because it's their most-played game and they make the most revenue off of it. They didn't even make the original....

18. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    Also, you know, DoTA 2 only has one map.

19. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    So I downloaded this and uh... is there something wrong, or is Valve pushing a lot of updates in a row right now? This is the fourth one in two days so far, and the last two have both been in the hundreds-of-megabytes range.

Also, what's the "OpenGL support for Windows" DLC? I thought the engine was already OpenGL-only.

20. CommodoreKong

aa CommodoreKong

Positive Ratings:
    It's not like Valve made the original Team Fortress or Counter Strike, all three of their big multiplayer games come from mods.