Dota 2 FGD

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Verumae, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Verumae

Verumae L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I've been trying to get Hammer to run Dota 2 maps. I think I'm pretty close, but my only problem is the FGD. I can't find anything about its FGD anywhere. Is this something that I'll need to wait until release for?

I've looked in the VPKs and in the game files. (surprisingly, a lot of things aren't even packed into a vpk, like dota.bsp itself)

I'm using the Portal 2 version of Hammer, by the way.

2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    I thought Dota2 wasn't going to have mapping, so I would assume then it wouldn't need to have a visible .fgd...

I'm probably wrong on the second part, but I'm like 95% sure they weren't going to have mapping for dota.

3. Verumae

Positive Ratings:
    Ahh, nevermind, got it to work with the portal 2 .fgd, it just took like an hour to load.

EDIT: Okay, whenever I launch hammer it automatically reverts to the portal 2 configuration. This leaves me with no textures, models etc. How do I fix this? I set up the dota 2 config, I just can't get it to stay there.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  4. HellJumper

aa HellJumper

Positive Ratings:
    Why would they have mapping for dota, though? It's literally 1 map.

5. Verumae

Positive Ratings:
    I'm not asking if mapping is actively supported, I'm just asking how to get it to work. If they wanted a lot of maps, they probably would've expressed interest in that by now. The fact that the only map is named "dota.bsp" and not "dota_classic.bsp", "dota_standard.bsp", or something like that just shows that it has a monopoly on the map list. I just see this as an opportunity to do something special and I'm going to make a custom map even if I have to make a new map editor. (actually a new map editor sounds great)

6. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
  7. Verumae

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks mang, I appreciate it. It's open in hammer now, I just need to stop hammer from reverting to Portal 2's config. (the one in tools-> options) I've already made the Dota 2 config, anyone know how to fix it?

8. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    It really wont work without an FGD as far as I know.