Doors

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Half-Life_Maniac, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Half-Life_Maniac

Half-Life_Maniac L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I've just been thinking..

The wayI'm currently making my spawn doors (and the same way VALVe and probably everone else does it) is by having a trigger_multiple that triggers an invisible func_door, which finally triggers the visable prop_dynamic door.

Is there a good reason for this setup? Why not skip the func_door entirely and simply have the trigger target the prop door?

Probably a simple, logical answer to this, but seeing as it was on my mind..

2. Intraman

Intraman L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    there is. The dynamic prop doesn't collide with players. ie, you could walk through it.

3. Half-Life_Maniac

Positive Ratings:
    Are you certain of this? I thought it'd have collision just like any other prop.

Still, if that's true, that pretty much answers my question then.

4. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    Also, triggering the prop only works for the single model that actually has an animation attached to it. For the non-animating models, they must be parented to a door in order to move.

5. Half-Life_Maniac

Positive Ratings:
    Aha, another good point. I forgot about those un-animated door models. In those cases, it almost seems a waste of time even having the prop. They look just as flat and plain as what a brush-based one would be..

6. Intraman

Intraman L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well I'm not sure if that's the reason they do it, but I do know that it happens. Go ahead and just place an animated door prop without being tied to anything. You can walk right through them.

7. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    they have no collision, intraman is right :)

8. spaceweasels

aa spaceweasels

Positive Ratings:
    Which also includes no collision with rockets and bullets and grenades. Not a very good spawn room, if the enemy can safely bomb you through the door.