Dooooors

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Portalboat, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Portalboat

Portalboat L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Why are they so hard to make?

Right now, I'm just trying to make it move. I don't care how far, I just want it to move in the right direction. I've set the move direction (Yaw) in EVERY 90-degree increment. 90 and 270 move it, but only front and backward. (I want it to go right) 180 doesn't move at all, but it still plays sounds.
    What am I doing wrong?

2. PL-7764

PL-7764 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I don't know much about making doors myself, but ABS' Ultimate Mapping Resource Pack contains numerous pre-made ones if you want to use those instead. You can just drop 'em into your map. ;)

3. Portalboat

Positive Ratings:
    I know, but I can't have the doors go up because there's going to be a upper level. They need to go sideways.

4. nik

nik L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    the move direction is the same as looking at the x/y view in hammer (top down), so just look at the x/y then think about you want it to move and move the line in the circle around to match that direction

5. Draco18s

Draco18s L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    With 0 degrees being the right side of your monitor IIRC.

There's also an amazing "point at" feature that makes it really easy to get a "close enough" angle.

6. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    ...Which you can then round to the nearest 90 degree increment. That's what I almost always end up doing, since I can't be bothered to remember how the coordinates work. With actually rotating stuff I can just use trial and error, but obviously for doors you have to change, compile, test, change again, compile again... bleh. I kinda wish there was a way to preview movement like that, sometimes.

7. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    You can also use the compass on the properties window.

8. Tehrasha

Tehrasha L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  9. Tehrasha

Tehrasha L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Unfortunately, the compass only works if you are already facing north. :)
    Example: If you are in the 3D viewer and select your door, then tell it to open to the left...
    But left relative to what? Took me the longest time to figure that part out.

10. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Left according to the maps origin. It's not that hard. A common but time consuming effort is to use several smaller doors with lips, so the door doesn't interfere with space above it. But even pl_goldrush has this problem in it's first stage.

You can either have the door travel down, assuming you're not using a parented dynamic prop for the door, with a speed of atleast 1000. Or a couple (3-4) smaller doors that overlap above the doorway when opened.

11. Portalboat

Positive Ratings:
    Alright, when I set it to 270 (the direction I want it to move) it doesn't move at all. But it still plays the sounds.

EDIT: Turns out I was setting the lip too low. Is there a way to determine that?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  12. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Lip is how much it sticks out of the wall- hammer calculates this by presuming the door ends where the wall begins. So, set the lip to ten and the door will move (its own width-10) across. If the door brush sticks into the wall by ten, it'll end up not sticking out. If the door is less than 10, it'll move the other way.

13. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    I had sliding sideways doors in my map and most of the feedback I got about them was that they were glitchy.

14. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    They also arent very pretty.

As a workaround, I've set my door that had this issue to disable and enable, instead of opening and closing- if you make the door prop nonsolid, this sort of works... it isnt a final solution, but helps.

15. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    The door prop should always be nonsolid; it's the func_door that should actually stop boolets/players/etc.

16. Draco18s

Draco18s L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Are those like baby booleans? ;)

17. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    The func door should be invisible though, so can go wherever the hell it wants.