DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
hmm do tell, whats a -sillygbs?

StoneFrog

L6: Sharp Member
May 28, 2008
I do not. At the rate TF2 is progressing, ridiculous amounts of carnage will be the only thing left it has in common with the previous TF games. :mellow:

hmm do tell, whats a -sillygbs?
TF2 launch parameter so that, when playing, players always explode into those "censored" gibs such as cogs and hamburgers. Unaffected by server settings such as sv_pure.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
I don't. I want to maintain what shreds of half-seriousness there are in the game.

laghlagh

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 15, 2008
Wasn't those gibs originally a custom pack? Has it been made official?

AntonJ3000

I am inactive and make horrible maps
Oct 29, 2008
Wasn't those gibs originally a custom pack? Has it been made official?

No, They were orginally for german people, as in germany they have some anti-violenced games law or something, not sure. It's been like that with alot of games in german, no blood, gore or stuff like that.

On-Topic:
Nope, I use normal gibs (and the higher-res skins for them)

Last edited:
May 23, 2009
Yup all the combine bleed green or something to signify they're robots or something deranged like that. and there are no blood effects in TF2 for them. Must suck not having the option to have propper gore whilst we have the option to have less.

Gadget

aa
Mar 10, 2008
Yup all the combine bleed green or something to signify they're robots or something deranged like that. and there are no blood effects in TF2 for them. Must suck not having the option to have propper gore whilst we have the option to have less.

Yes, it's so stupid. We have this institution that rates all media like movies and games (ratings like PG, M, 13+ et cetera in the USA). I'm glad I got the blood patch for TF2 because I don't really like those silly gibs. In old TFC we didn't even have the player models but some robot like models so you couldn't really distinguish between the different classes...and green blood of course. Over the last years it has become slightly better. The more violent games are not censored anymore but get a rating of 18+ so the kids won't be able to purchase them.

I think Valve decided to use the silly gibs in Germany so they could sell the game for people of 16 and older.

PS: You could add to your poll: "I'm german but I have the blood patch"

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Honestly, the sillygibs are much more creepy and disturbing than the meaty chunks that otherwise pop out.

I don't use silly gibs, they're just too silly for me.

Hah.

Phobos

L3: Member
Feb 22, 2009
I am German and I imported my orange box from the UK. It's afaik the only way to get an uncut version without messing around with the game files (as GarbageMan said, applying a blood patch).

Violence in games is a touchy subject here in Germany. I guess we're tied in first place with Australia when it comes to rigorous laws concerning games. But then again we are allowed to drink beer at the age of 16, drink liquor at the age of 18 and have no problems with nudity in the media. Cultural differences I guess.

Gadget

aa
Mar 10, 2008
...messing around with the game files...

I didn't have any trouble with the files - downloaded the blood patch, unzipped it to my tf2 folder and it works fine. I bought the german Orange Box but I'm playing with the english voices because they sound way better than the german ones.

mITCHELL

L1: Registered
May 29, 2009
I am German and I imported my orange box from the UK. It's afaik the only way to get an uncut version without messing around with the game files (as GarbageMan said, applying a blood patch).

Violence in games is a touchy subject here in Germany. I guess we're tied in first place with Australia when it comes to rigorous laws concerning games. But then again we are allowed to drink beer at the age of 16, drink liquor at the age of 18 and have no problems with nudity in the media. Cultural differences I guess.

Actually we're pretty lax when it comes to sex and violence. Very few games have actually been banned or censored. Some games labeled for 17+ in other countries just get a 15+ restricted. And last time I checked the age of consent here is 16. (And yes, I did register just to reply to this post. I am that vain. LOL)