Do props take shadows well?

XFunc_CaRteR

L5: Dapper Member
May 14, 2009
Do shadows fall well onto models?

(I'm having t-junction issues because I have a lot of func_details. Problem is I don't want to convert that geometry to props because I want nice shadowing falling onto it.)

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Props are vertex lit rather than lightmap lit, so essentially, it depends on how high poly the prop is.

A prop like this will recieve shadows poorly like this (note the almost complete lack of shadowing on the snow)

Even with just a little bit of subdividing, the shadow quality increased to a much better standard of this. So it all depends on how many verts there are and how high density they are - the higher the density the higher the quality shadow, but also think about how expensive the prop is to render.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Just for completeness, note that certain VRAD compile options need to be present in order for props to receive those per-vertex shadows Sticker's talking about, particularly -StaticPropLighting and -StaticPropPolys .

Turning that option on affects all props in a map and increases file-size, but individual props can have this "fancy shadowing" disabled as necessary.