1. On August 16th at 9pm CST, the site will be put in to read only mode for maintenance. Maintenance should not take longer than an hour.

Do overlays not work on func_breakables??

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by ExtraCheesyPie, Jul 31, 2016.

1. ExtraCheesyPie

ExtraCheesyPie L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I had a sign to corral people into one way until the point was capped, at which point the brush it was on would break and it would stop blocking the way.

However I noticed that the arrow overlay wasn't appearing, which is probably why a lot of people were confused

So how would I have the wall have an overlay? Because i'm seriously contemplating making an actual, 3d arrow out of func_breakables to guide people. Are there other methods of creating a barrier that would disappear, and also have a arrow on it?

And is it possible to have overlays disappear using inputs/outputs?

2. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    Overlays won't work on any brush entity except func_detail. The best you can do is either make a sign out of brushes or use an arrow texture on the brush itself, rather than as an overlay. Or create a whole new arrow texture.

3. ExtraCheesyPie

Positive Ratings:
    So how does badwater and the like do it? I mean like, the sign that rises up / down

4. CriminalBunny

aa CriminalBunny Lasers are just deadly rainbows

Positive Ratings:
    I believe that's a prop_dynamic

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. ExtraCheesyPie

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks! I found the prop with ABS. It's train_billboard

I was just about to complain that it only pointed one way until i realised you can flip it upside down and it doesn't matter.