Do MVM soundscripts work?

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

BackSun

L1: Registered
Apr 4, 2019
Hi all,

I've been trying to add a soundscript to my map but have been running into difficulty. I have gotten the soundscript to work on several non-MVM maps, so I know that it is formatted correctly, but as soon as I rename it to match an MVM map (my own or otherwise) it stops working.
I have also found that the map prefix doesn't have to be mvm_MAPNAME, the soundscript also ignores maps with the prefixes smvm_MAPNAME or mvms_MAPNAME. I have also found that if I recompile my map without "MVM" in the prefix (and rename the soundscript accordingly) the soundscript works flawlessly.

Do MVM prefixed maps disable custom soundscripts, or is there something else that I need to do that I don't know about?

For those curious, here is the soundscript that I have been using, a slightly edited version of the one found in tr_walkway (since I knew that one worked):
Code:
// Disable resupply sound
"Regenerate.Touch"
{
   "channel"   "CHAN_ITEM"
   "volume"   "VOL_NORM"
   "soundlevel"   "SNDLVL_NONE"
   "pitch"     "PITCH_NORM"
   "wave"     "vo/null.wav"
}
// Disable bots resupply sound
"BaseCombatCharacter.AmmoPickup"
{
   "channel"   "CHAN_ITEM"
   "volume"   "1"
   "soundlevel"  "SNDLVL_75dB"

"wave"   "vo/null.wav"
}
"Halloween.HeadlessBossSpawn"
{
   "channel"     "CHAN_STATIC"
   "volume"     "1.000"
   "pitch"       "PITCH_NORM"
   "soundlevel"   "SNDLVL_NORM"

"wave"     "vo/null.wav"
}

And yes I know that the sound vo/null.wav doesn't actually exist, the console tells me that when the soundscript does work, and if a solution is found I will make sure to have valid sound files for when I include it in my map.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Startacker!

WANT ME TO BE REAL? MAKE ME.
aa
Jun 15, 2013
TF2 forces a set of level sounds on any map with the mvm_ prefix. This overrules any map-specific level sound files you attempt to use and is hardcoded in the VPK files. It doesn't happen on other prefixes since its only looking for the mvm_ prefix.

BackSun

L1: Registered
Apr 4, 2019
Well, I guess I will just have to change my map's prefix.

Thanks for the help. :)

rafradek

L2: Junior Member
Aug 25, 2018
I recommend using a workaround:
1. Extract scripts/mvm_level_sound_tweaks.txt from tf_misc_dir.vpk
2. Put all custom soundscripts at the end of the file
3. Pack the file into the map