Do all TF2 maps need skyboxes?

goodwizard435

L1: Registered
May 7, 2018
I am currently making a tf2 map which is inside. Do I still need a skybox? What are the advantages to having one ?

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
I'm assuming you're referring to a 3D Skybox. If you can't see the sky at any point, then no, you don't need a Skybox. The benefits are pretty much all aesthetic. Keep in mind that having visible sky in your map makes lighting areas easier as you have sunlight to your advantage.

Also, Fun fact: Turbine doesn't have a 3D Skybox even though you can see outside. Though Turbine's not exactly the golden standard for detailing.

[Rx.] Christian Troy

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 23, 2017
Also keep in mind that if you want to have windows in rooms or areas that look outside, you don't need to make an whole box around the map with the skybox texture. When you cut the window in the wall, all you need is a brush on the outside of the window touching the outside of the wall to seal it with the skybox texture facing inward. The scenery on that texture will move as needed as players move around the window as they pass by it.

Scampi

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 8, 2017
Most maps generally have a sky box of some sort, be it a detailed 3D sky box and a landscape, or just a simple window. You don't specifically need one if you map is detailed to be indoors or underground, but it's extra important to convey open space in this situation. Some players will see the lack of a sky box and assume a junction-esque cramp-fest awaits them, so it's necessary to make it more obvious that there's plenty of room to jump around in.