Dm_whiskas

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Catman, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Catman

Catman L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Dm_whiskas_Reloaded

Hi am catman from russia etc and etc and etc. I whant to introduce my first map.

Game Mode : Death Match
    Type : Scout vs scout (1vs1)
    Version : Final
    Name : Dm_whiskas_Reloaded

Play it esl

http://www.esl.eu/eu/#/eu/tf2/1on1/scout/ladder/

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  2. nik

nik L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    scout ONLY?

don't know if that's gonna be very popular here. Anyways, your map looks very bland and tasteless. But that is of course from just looking at the screenshots.

3. Time

Time L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    How is this already a release candidate?

4. Mick-a-nator

aa Mick-a-nator

Positive Ratings:
    Generally, dm doesn't go down well here (tf2 isn't built for dm), and 1 vs 1 scout sounds painfully dull. I must say that the detailing is very nice though! Next time, make something more traditional (koth or 2cp would be a good place to start). I'd enjoy seeing what something like that would look like.

5. Catman

Positive Ratings:
    Em i have speaked to some pro hl2dm players they said that there no difference between hl2 dm_map and this the same random respawn, maybe this map is small, but also i wanted to combine tf2 duel_duel and hl2dm dm_map

6. Catman

Positive Ratings:
    so look inside

7. Catman

Positive Ratings:
    why not?

8. redcommunism

redcommunism L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    It seems as if catman does not take kindly to constructive criticism...

9. The Asylum

aa The Asylum

Positive Ratings:
    At least it's not orange

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. Jack Riguel

Jack Riguel L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    There hasn't really been any yet.

For a first map this is a decent start. Your corridors and fighting space are well sized for tf2. The lack of proper spawn rooms is troubling though, even for a 1v1 Scout Deathmatch.

First things first read through This Site. It'll teach you how to properly optimize your map, which will help both player and compile performance. Also I'd suggest you start moving up a bit. Try designing a small koth or arena map, one that could be used by any class. These types of maps are the perfect sizes for a simple DM map, if you choose to continue in this gamemode.

Finally, stay away from carving and working in less-than 8x8 grids. It'll make your life a lot easier when designing in hammer and compiling.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  11. Catman

Positive Ratings:
    all depends how person presents his critical opinion, maybe u think so because my English is not so good

12. Mick-a-nator

aa Mick-a-nator

Positive Ratings:
    sorry, what? I meant, the HL2:dm play style is incompatible with TF2 :/

Sorry, I'm just not convinced by dm maps in TF2, or maps that limit player numbers (especially to 1v1 scouts only). I mean, maps specifically designed for 6v6 or 12v12 are fine, but anything less than 6v6 is just not going to work imo.

As I said before, please make a more traditional map. I think you could make something beautiful.

EDIT: its hard to find a lot of constructive criticism on such a small map, that's why people are giving short replies I think.

EDIT2:
    I'm going to disagree with you there. I mean about the grid, carving is a definite no-no. Yes an 8x8, or even a 16x16, grid is good for blocking out, but going down to a 2x2 may be necessary when detailing, a 1x1 grid may even be required for placing models. Basically, as the the task you are doing gets more and more precise, use a smaller grid, but stick to the biggest one you can get away with. Also don't rotate brushes ;)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  13. Beetle

Beetle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I don't know if dm maps are such a bad thing, especially being your first map. You learn a lot about detailing, and it makes it much simpler - less balance issues, etc.

14. Jack Riguel

Positive Ratings:
    True, I didn't make myself entirely clear. When in the initial level design stay away from less then an 8x8 gird. Detailing is another matter, but you should understand the basics of func_detail first before you go into that, compiling with 1x1 brushes around is insane.

15. Catman

Positive Ratings:
    if duel_duel2 exists and it is playable on esl as ladder this map also can be playable. My imagination will not give me chance to create a big map) or small as koth. So i wanted ideas about this map maybe something to add and etc.

16. Beetle

Positive Ratings:
    Until this site's last contest, mapping for a competitive audience wasn't even being done (on purpose) here.

17. Catman

Positive Ratings:
    probably

18. Jack Riguel

Positive Ratings:
    I beg to differ.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Grim Tuesday

aa Grim Tuesday

Positive Ratings:
  20. Beetle

Positive Ratings:
    Oh right, forgot about those. Other than the two perfect examples in this quote, people really didn't think with a competitive mind.