KotH DM_PitColumn

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by DavidsonVROOM, Jan 9, 2012.

1. DavidsonVROOM

DavidsonVROOM L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hello all! I'm a very, very, very new mapper around these parts, and after some twiddling around in a few of this site's marvelous tutorials, I have made my very own not-as-marvelous map!

It's a relatively small deathmatch "pit", with "bridges" and such connecting the two RED and BLU bases.

Hope you like it!

2. Tarry H Sruman

Tarry H Sruman Large Orphanage Proprietor

Positive Ratings:
    DM maps usually don't go over well here, I would recommend converting it to KOTH or arena if you want legitimate feedback.

3. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    Nice work for a first map though! You got lights, that's a plus.

One note, you may want to vary your textures a bit. It looks very...well, plain.

Also, you can hide your weapon when taking screeshots by opening the console and typing,

r_drawviewmodels 0

Just change the 0 to a 1 to turn them back on again!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Kill_the_Bug

Kill_the_Bug L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    I like the look of it but it sucks to be anything else but demo or soldier - if you're not one of those then you'll be the fish in the bucket because you can't get out of the bucket. Make some ramps elevators to allow the other classes to get up and snipers spots too.

5. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    There do look to be ramps. However Demo and soldier get much more out of height advantages than the other classes, thanks to how splash damage works.

6. DavidsonVROOM

Positive Ratings:
    You have no idea how long I've been looking for a command like that! Thank you Aly!!

7. DavidsonVROOM

Positive Ratings:
    Hmm... Maybe I can figure out how to do that with this map.

So you guys don't really like DM maps, then? Are there any other websites that do?

8. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Gamebana does

It isn't that we don't "like" them, we just don't focus on making them, we try to stick with normal gametypes, or try and think of logical fusion of gametypes.... Not just spam-kil kill-spam spam gametypes.

9. AngryAngus

AngryAngus L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Its important to note that you won't get any good/real feedback on maps from GameBanana, its mostly full of retards. It used to be cool but then idiots invaded it.

10. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/162582 top comment disagrees :p

OP, just toss in KotH logic. with the seemingly small enough map it'll be deathmatch anyway, but the objective completers will have a little something too.

11. Vincent

aa Vincent 🔨 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi 🔨

Positive Ratings:
    You can also hide the hud with cl_drawhud 0

12. Tarry H Sruman

Tarry H Sruman Large Orphanage Proprietor

Positive Ratings:
    "Hide Viewmodels" (or "Draw Viewmodels", I forget which) is also a checkbox in the advanced options if you don't want to use the console for some reason. The more you know.

13. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Fixed. Nobody really likes arena anymore either, sadly.

14. Kill_the_Bug

Kill_the_Bug L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yes they do look like ramps but the side shots show that they don't touch the ground and they are out of the jump range of most classes.

re Koth maps - I don't really find them that much different than a DM map - the main diference is that one has a timer where one team can win and the other looses - other than that their pretty much a kill fest and fast to make.

I think in terms of learning map skills (coding) the difficulty levels go like this:

CTF/Koth - easy game coding
    Payload - medium/hard coding depends on how complex you want to make your map.
    Territory Control - very hard coding - to get the logic working right

Since he's new - maybe he/she should look at it that way. Keep up the good work dude - you may get some hard feedback here - but it's honest feedback and not meant to be insulting in any way - the community is based on mappers becoming better mappers. If you make something nice, people will say it's nice - if it stinks...well you'll get feedback in how to make it better - lol

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012