Displacements and Shader Detail Problem

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Kerch, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Kerch

Kerch L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I am having trouble with the lighting of my displacements.

With shader detail set to low, it looks as it should:

[​IMG]

With shader detail set to high, there is a nasty seam between the two displacements:

[​IMG]

Edit: Below is the first semi-successful attempt at a fix.

This is with shader detail high and one of the bump maps removed from the rock wall:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    I think that is just how the textures data is setup, you might have to edit one texture or the other to make it match.

I think...

3. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    fast means fast lighting.

fast lighting is cheap and ugly. but fast.

4. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

5. Blade x64

aa Blade x64 Logical insanity

Positive Ratings:
    From what I can tell, for some reason blendrockgroundwallforest uses an SSbump for the grass bump map, even though the rock has a normal bump map and ssbump is not set to 1. To fix this, either remove the bump map assigned to the grass on the cliff or replace it with a more suitable bump map.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. Kerch

Positive Ratings:
    That sounds like a good explanation.

The theme isn't set in stone, so it might be easier for a novice like me to try a different texture combination.

I'm a bit confused though because in my decompiled version of Gorge they use the same texture combination but don't get this effect.

7. Kerch

Positive Ratings:
    I've added a third image showing what happens when you remove the second bump map from "blendrockgroundwallforest" as follows:

Code:
    "WorldVertexTransition"
    {
    	"$basetexture" "Nature/rockwall001forest"
    	"$basetexture2" "Nature/grass_07"
    	"%tooltexture" "editor-abs/blendttx/nature/blendrockgroundwallforest_ttx"
    	"$blendmodulatetexture" "Nature/grass_blendmask"
    	"$bumpmap" "Nature/rockwall001_normal"
    	\\"$bumpmap2" "Nature/rockground002_height-ssbump"
    	"%keywords" "tf"
    	"$surfaceprop" "dirt"

}
    The bump map in question seems to put a very strong highlight around the top of the rock texture so this is what gives that contrast with the grass.

8. Blade x64

aa Blade x64 Logical insanity

Positive Ratings:
    The rock bump map is being applied to both textures, so just give the grass a neutral bump map. I tried to find out what special thing cp_gorge did as well, but couldn't find anything.

9. Rexy

aa Rexy The Kwisatz Haderach

Positive Ratings:
    The answer is (I know from experience):

SSBumps change the brightness of a of a texture regardless of what the diffuse looks like. If you try to blend two textures together, and one is using an ssbump and another isn't (or 2 ssbumps with different grey brightness levels) you're going to have this brightness/darkness issue.

Open up "Nature/rockground002_height-ssbump" in your favorite .vtf editor and you will see that's a flat grey texture, meant for blending displacement textures together in the case that one of the two blend textures uses a detailed ssbump. This is the standard file valve uses when they want to do exactly this.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1293763/rockground002_height-ssbump.jpg

Take a look above at that.

If you need further matching of brightness between the two blends, use "$color2", and then offset the three rgb values from 255, to 225, then to 200 (until bright/dark line between them changes).

• Thanks Thanks x 1