Displacements >_<

Rotab

L1: Registered
Apr 18, 2008
Oh hello there. Displacements make me go nuts. I've read every guide i could find about them. And i still dont get it. :(

The problem is that when i use Paint Geometry, it'll create holes, and seweing them doesnt work.. Like this;
IXiHpjQww.png

Sep 12, 2008
Be sure that the other brush is also a displacement, and when you want a smooth displacement, select both displacements (ctrl + leftclick) and then there won't apear any holes! When you don't like the displacement, click destroy, to delete the displacement. This makes the displacement a normal brush again. Sewing only works with displacements who are next to each other, share the same "size"..
this is an example of a "bad" displacement, that can't be sewn:
displacement_bad.JPG

this is an example of a "good" displacement, that can be sewn:
displacement_good.JPG

Pianodan

L3: Member
Apr 11, 2009
To clarify further, as I understand it, instead of one displacement being exactly the same size, it can also be precisely half as big as the other one.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
That is correct, you can have displacements that are on a 1:2 ratio along that edge. I've always had them starting from one edge, but I imagine you could have the smaller one in the middle... not sure though

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
As long as the yellow lines match up, I would think its fine. Though my sew button doesnt seem to work at all, Ive been getting holes in my displacements no matter what. My brushes never seem to want to displace right, how do yall do it? o_O

ProfFiendish

L2: Junior Member
Nov 15, 2008
Ninjilla: displacements won't sew if the brushes are invalid as a result of vertex manipulation. You can quickly check which brushes work by hitting alt-P: it will tell you of any brushes that it doesn't like.

Had this problem myself when first starting out with displacements, and found it helps to check for brush errors before actually starting to build displacements.