Displacements >_<

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Rotab, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Rotab

Rotab L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Oh hello there. Displacements make me go nuts. I've read every guide i could find about them. And i still dont get it. :(

The problem is that when i use Paint Geometry, it'll create holes, and seweing them doesnt work.. Like this; [​IMG]

2. DaBeatzProject

aa DaBeatzProject

Positive Ratings:
    Be sure that the other brush is also a displacement, and when you want a smooth displacement, select both displacements (ctrl + leftclick) and then there won't apear any holes! When you don't like the displacement, click destroy, to delete the displacement. This makes the displacement a normal brush again. Sewing only works with displacements who are next to each other, share the same "size"..
    this is an example of a "bad" displacement, that can't be sewn:
    [​IMG]
    this is an example of a "good" displacement, that can be sewn:
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 6
  3. Rotab

Rotab L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Oh right, thanks. Mine were at different sizes :rolleyes:

4. Pianodan

Pianodan L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    To clarify further, as I understand it, instead of one displacement being exactly the same size, it can also be precisely half as big as the other one.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  5. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    That is correct, you can have displacements that are on a 1:2 ratio along that edge. I've always had them starting from one edge, but I imagine you could have the smaller one in the middle... not sure though

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  6. Ninjilla

Ninjilla L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    As long as the yellow lines match up, I would think its fine. Though my sew button doesnt seem to work at all, Ive been getting holes in my displacements no matter what. My brushes never seem to want to displace right, how do yall do it? o_O

7. ProfFiendish

ProfFiendish L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ninjilla: displacements won't sew if the brushes are invalid as a result of vertex manipulation. You can quickly check which brushes work by hitting alt-P: it will tell you of any brushes that it doesn't like.

Had this problem myself when first starting out with displacements, and found it helps to check for brush errors before actually starting to build displacements.