displacement

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by wrock, May 21, 2009.

1. wrock

wrock L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hi,
    how can i make a displacement more detailed, so that i can scale big displacements better with small ones?

2. Kronixx

Kronixx L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    if i'm understanding your question right, i think the answer your looking for is make the displacements a very basic shape with easy to work with 90 or 45 angles. Using displacement brushes that are like i dunno, 128 wide or 256 wide, and equally tall, basically small rectanglesr. And then when you block them together they make it appear as once large face. This allows the grid of the displacements to be small enough to capture finer details but they appear as though it's one giant displacement face. So to make sure your displacements stay connected, make sure to have them ALL selected when using your paint geometry tool, otherwise you'll botch the whole thing up and it might be easier to delete and restart at that point.

The map that showed me this most clearly that i can think of is badwater_basin. Open up the decompiled map and check out the displacement faces infront of blu's spawn cave. That demonstrates what i'm tryin to say perfectly. It's just a bunch of smaller rectangles that match up to make a very large cliff face.

3. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    select displacement.

go to displacement tab

change power to 3 or 4

Hit apply.

4. Kronixx

Kronixx L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    unless that's what you meant, me and sgt frag were apparently typing at the same time :p

5. wrock

wrock L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    thx, i doesent5 know that you can put small brushes together and edit it like an big one

thx, this will save my time

6. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    You can also cut displacements which can come in handy.

If you have a 512x512 you can clip it into a 256x512... Be sure to stay on grid.
    Both of them will keep the props of the old. So if it was power of 4 then both the smaller ones will be p4