Displacement problems

Feb 14, 2008
This has happened to two different maps of mine, I've lined up dispalcements and set them all up perectly, done some noise on them and sewed them all together. Then when I reload the save file, suddenly all the displacements are out of sync, have been shortened or their vertices moved. I originally thought this was becuase of subdividing, but the problem just happened again when I didn't subdivide. Any help?

dookiebot

L1: Registered
Mar 20, 2008
I seem to recall running into this before when I messed with the vertex of the brushes to make them connect at odd angles before making them displacements. I ended up destroying the displacement and checking the angles/brush meeting points and changing as needed and redoing and the problem went away.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I seem to recall running into this before when I messed with the vertex of the brushes to make them connect at odd angles before making them displacements. I ended up destroying the displacement and checking the angles/brush meeting points and changing as needed and redoing and the problem went away.

You don't have to destroy the displacement to make sure the brushes line up, there are some buttons at the top, I can't remember the icons but one toggles the 3Dness of the displacements (looks like a cliff or looks like the face of a brush) and the button next to it toggles the 'other' sides to the displacement brush so you can see the sides that you've nodrawed, if you toggle both of these the displacement magically looks like a normal brush again!

phatal

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 8, 2008
I get these type problems when trying to do crazy vertex editting. It will look right while doing it (sometimes, sometimes not) but when I reload the level it will show it's errored state. So like dokie said above it's probably vertex related.

Ze Inspector

L1: Registered
Mar 14, 2008
Phatal those errors you're getting from crazy vertex editing is caused by creating illegal concave shapes, or impossible shapes without the correct number of vertex lines to points. I believe the displacement error might be similar. If you're not careful and your moving parts of your displacement in all three dimensions its easy to squish points together, push faces through each other, and flatten faces against each other. Hammer doesn't like any of this and that might be the source of your problem.

Feb 14, 2008
Here's a screenshot of what the broken displacements turn out like (in Hammer), usually all the displacements were aligned (and of the correct length):

Hammerscreenie.jpg

Originally when I closed the document all the vertices were connected. However, the two displacements that did change were kind of crazy, as the bottom two were level, whilst the top two were on different levels to each other in coordinance with the vertices on the adjacent one. I guess Hammer doesn't like weirdly tilted displacements?