Displacement Performance Hit

phatal

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 8, 2008
I'm going to surround my level with mostly cliffs and was curious how big of a performance hit a displacement creates. Would it be more like a world brush or more like a func_detail? Also, would making the brushes I create in to a displacement would be easier on performance if starting with a func_detail?

Fyfey

L2: Junior Member
Jan 24, 2008
If you make a displacement a func_detail, it will give an error on compile I think. I'm pretty sure they're good on resources, more like a func_detail than a world brush.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Displacements CANNOT be tied to entities, it stops the map compiling completely
Displacements cause very little performance issues, you can have bazillions of them before it will have any noticeable effect. All displacements do is bump up filesize and compile time (to a lesser extent)
Just look at the episode 2 maps, especially the caves, probably 95% displacement and do they lag? no.

dirtyminuth

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 5, 2007
I have ~750 displacements in core, and have not suffered through any performance issues. Go hog wild!

Wiebbe

L1: Registered
Dec 25, 2007
displacement are just like func_details, they dont stop Leaks/Vis or Light. So you can use them as you like. (as been said above :p)

Numerous

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 14, 2009
Question: If I went around and set all my floors/walls/etc (that weren't tied to entities) as displacements, would this be a good/bad idea? what would happen?

(I'm just asking this for the sake of anyone who reads this, a sticky has this linked as info for displacements, im pretty sure it would be bad due to area hint or whatever theyre called, but what do I know)

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Well displacements dont block VVIS so it would compile quite fast, but then it would really not be good on performance.

Also well done for the bump :p