Displacement library

Displacement library 2016-02-21

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Displacement library - Templates and Styleguides from 2010

You've been waiting for it ladies and gents, here it is for you to use.

--About--
This is a library full of displacement templates that I've made for you to copy into your maps and alter how you see fit to create all sorts of fantastical natural maps. I decided to get down useful starting points for displacements after realising that they might encourage people to play with displacements more, having a starting point already can be less daunting than starting from scratch. I don't want anyone to rely on this alone for their displacements, but rather to use it as a tool to learn to become self-sufficient or as a time saver.

--Usage--
  • Once downloaded extract the single .vmf to your \steamapps\<USERNAMEHERE>\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc folder.
  • Simply open the .vmf in hammer, browse through and find one you want to use then copy/paste it into your map for modification.
  • I recommend that you spend a bit of time making them fit nicely together once you use them, as they are not designed to all fit together in every possible combination.
  • The style guides are there as an artistic reference of how valve's main styles are constructed. I wouldn't recommend using them directly in your maps but they are there if you want to use them in what ever way you can think of.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I dug this up again because I think everyone making maps here could benefit from looking at the gravelpit displacement cliffs. I recreated a sample here, but you should definitely all look at gravelpit's cliffs. Go on, go open it up in hammer and take a look. If I can learn something from them, you definitely can too.

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
Forgive me for not understanding, but what exactly am I supposed to be seeing in gravelpit?

I dug this up again because I think everyone making maps here could benefit from looking at the gravelpit displacement cliffs. I recreated a sample here, but you should definitely all look at gravelpit's cliffs.

Bull

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 30, 2011
Very cool, thanks a lot!

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Your cliffs probably look like this:
NwweFAB.jpg

When they could look like this:
cliff.JPG

See how this one has interesting shapes going on? And if you look at it in profile it looks like this:
cliff2.JPG

(Actually gravelpit does less of this than I remember)