Displacement library 2016-02-21

Templates and Styleguides from 2010

1. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Displacement library - Templates and Styleguides from 2010

You've been waiting for it ladies and gents, here it is for you to use.

--About--
    This is a library full of displacement templates that I've made for you to copy into your maps and alter how you see fit to create all sorts of fantastical natural maps. I decided to get down useful starting points for displacements after realising that they might encourage people to play with displacements more, having a starting point already can be less daunting than starting from scratch. I don't want anyone to rely on this alone for their displacements, but rather to use it as a tool to learn to become self-sufficient or as a time saver.

--Usage--
    • Once downloaded extract the single .vmf to your \steamapps\<USERNAMEHERE>\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc folder.
    • Simply open the .vmf in hammer, browse through and find one you want to use then copy/paste it into your map for modification.
    • I recommend that you spend a bit of time making them fit nicely together once you use them, as they are not designed to all fit together in every possible combination.
    • The style guides are there as an artistic reference of how valve's main styles are constructed. I wouldn't recommend using them directly in your maps but they are there if you want to use them in what ever way you can think of.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    I dug this up again because I think everyone making maps here could benefit from looking at the gravelpit displacement cliffs. I recreated a sample here, but you should definitely all look at gravelpit's cliffs. Go on, go open it up in hammer and take a look. If I can learn something from them, you definitely can too.

3. Moonrat

aa Moonrat The end of an era

Positive Ratings:
    Holy shit. Industrializing map making!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Mikroscopic

aa Mikroscopic

Positive Ratings:
    Forgive me for not understanding, but what exactly am I supposed to be seeing in gravelpit?

5. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:

6. ades

ades L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    thank you

7. Bull

Bull L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Very cool, thanks a lot!

8. Mikroscopic

aa Mikroscopic

Positive Ratings:
    What I meant was, what is so special about the cliffs in gravelpit? They just look like normal cliffs to me.

9. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Your cliffs probably look like this:
    [​IMG]
    When they could look like this:
    [​IMG]
    See how this one has interesting shapes going on? And if you look at it in profile it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

(Actually gravelpit does less of this than I remember)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. Mikroscopic

aa Mikroscopic

Positive Ratings:
    So just put a little more effort into shaping those displacements? I suppose I do see a lot of cliffs that look a bit too simple for a natural rock formation.