Displacement Creation Flattening Brushes?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Apollo 11, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Apollo 11

Apollo 11 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    When I open up the face edit tool and click "Create," the brush I was editing becomes completely flat except for the face I was working on. The rest of the faces of the brush are gone, leaving just 1 infinitely thin face. Have I done anything wrong? Is there any way to fix this? I'd kind of like to keep my brushes while detailing.

Thx

2. JMaxchill

JMaxchill L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think this is what it's meant to do. Displacements are faces, not brushes, so this sounds about right. You can't keep brushes and have them be displacements, AFAIK (also remember to seal under displacements with nodraw)

3. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, that's what's supposed to happen when you create a displacement - it becomes a one-sided mesh that you can sculpt. If you want multiple sides of the brush to become displacements, select all the faces you need before hitting Create. Like JMaxchill said, displacements will no longer seal the map (or cut visibility) like the brush they came from, so be careful where you use them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    Quick tip: if you make one face a displacement and then decide you also want to convert some more faces into displacements, click on this icon (the one where my cursor is):
    [​IMG]

It'll make all faces of a brush visible even when one or more faces have been turned into a displacement!
    [​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 4
  5. MoonFox

MoonFox L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I will note lie, that is awesome

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    And while you're learning stuff on that bar...

:disp3d: will enable/ disable displacements, so you can look to see what the underlying brush looks like. This is useful for checking out how other decompiled maps set up their displacements.

:dispcollapse: shows you where your displacements are connecting together (and can sew) when your brushes aren't the same resolution. Sort of like locking those vertices down onto the adjacent brush that doesn't have a separation in between.

:dispwalk: will show you in yellow where you displacements won't allow players to walk up. I've found it isn't always 100% accurate, though.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  7. MoonFox

Positive Ratings:
    I can't hold all these ratings

8. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    You have 26. They could fit into one hand.

• Funny Funny x 6
  9. MoonFox

Positive Ratings:
    victory of the day