Displacement Control Problem

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Alright. This has always bugged me about Hammer, but now that it's crunch time for the Artpass, it's becoming a pain.

When I paint geometry or alpha on a displacement, sometimes the controls go nuts. It's as if the left mouse button is held down on full power, meaning I can't even navigate the window without a displacement getting contorted badly out of shape. If I press the right mouse button, I'll get the opposite effect (push instead of pull, etc) but as soon as I let go of the right mouse button, it's right back to going nuts again.

The only fix has been to restart Hammer. Then everything works fine until it randomly decides to flip out again.

This problem has happened across two different computers and three different mice, so I'm feeling pretty confident this is an issue with Hammer itself and not a mouse problem.

Anyone have any idea what's causing this? Seems to happen if I pause to change a setting in the displacement control panel and then try to continue editing the displacement.

Kep

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Press the left mouse button once in the 3d viewport then hit ctrl+z

everything is fixed.

EDIT: it's probably because hammer never received the mouse-up input for whatever reason, so just pressing the left mouse button again in the 3D window sends it that input.

Last edited:

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
The input usually fails to be sent when another window grabs focus, be it a Hammer dialog or something else entirely, or sometimes if you bump certain modifier keys wrong.

Mr. Happy

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 16, 2008
When this happens to me I left right click really fast and then ctrl z

Doesnt seem to happen when shift painting.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Naturally, after I posted, it stopped doing it. Had been doing it frequently earlier. Heh.

I'll try the click trick and see if that fixes it next time it happens. Thanks!

Kep