Displacement Causes Spikes in Geometry?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by jony, Aug 1, 2016.

1. jony

jony L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I have a lot of displacements in my map, and the below happens seemingly randomly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The pictures show the joining of 2 different displacements by sewing, but the displacements are both flat in that area, so why does it create this spike in the geometry?

Any thoughts?

2. Diva Dan

aa Diva Dan hello!

Positive Ratings:
    It could be caused by the displacement face on the sides of the brushes you are working with- destroy those and try sewing again. They dony benefit you, anyways.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. jony

jony L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Thank you so much! I never knew you could destroy displacements on a single side of the solid. I thought the only way was to destroy the displacements on all sides of the solid.

4. Diva Dan

aa Diva Dan hello!

Positive Ratings:
    No problem! Displacements used to be a hassle for me. From now on, only select the faces that must be displaced, most often it's just the top.

5. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    This one looks especially weird; did you remember to only make displacements out of your top faces?

6. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    :faceedittool:The texture application tool, and therefore the displacement editing tools, allow you to select which faces you want to work with instead of the entire brush. The only texture-related thing that ALWAYS affects an entire brush is
    :applycurrenttexture:this guy.

• Thanks Thanks x 1