Dispenser/Respawn help?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Cereal_Killer, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Cereal_Killer

Cereal_Killer L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Could I make so that if an engineer built a dispenser in a respawn room which was disabled that it would suddenly enable it causing that team to start respawning in that room? How would I go about doing this?

Thanks,
    Cereal Killer

2. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    use a triggerbrush aroudn the room, set it's flags to "everything" then set the filter to "dispencerfilter" make a filtertype entity with the same name and set the filter to the dispencer name (can't remember it off the top of my head) then tell the tigger to enable the info_spawnpoints in that spawnroom when it is triggered (by the dispencer)

3. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    Dam, you beat me to it. I was just reading about various new filters and outputs on the Valve wiki. But yeah, what Youme said.

4. Cereal_Killer

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks a ton, My only question would be what is the dispenser name? I have no idea where to look it up. If you could tell me where I'd <3 you. yeah, id damn f****** <3 you.

5. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    I can't remember what it is, but you can look it up. try in the GCF script files, it will be the name of the dispencer script (Thats one way of removing weapons, but it spams "sv_cheats 1" on the screen)

6. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    nope, it seems I'm slightly wrong. its not there. That means I have no clue where it is.
    It probably has "buildables" in it somewhere, why not do some trial and error? (that is by best suggestion)

7. Cereal_Killer

Positive Ratings:
    Which filtertype entity did you use?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  8. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    trigger_once or trigger_multiple, depending on how you want to use it.

9. Cereal_Killer

Positive Ratings:
    The only other thing was that there must be a list somewhere of all the available classes, including what im looking for ie dispenser.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  10. Scotland Tom

Scotland Tom L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    This sounds like a fascinating idea. Not that I have any clue as to the implementation. But making it so that an engineer can capture a forward spawn point like that is a really cool concept. I'm anxious to see how it works out.

11. fartron

fartron L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Cereal, you can learn a lot if you go into TF2 and play with the ent_ commands in console. Bind a key to ent_text and press it while looking at an entity to get a lot of information about it on screen. There are other useful commands, like for displaying it's bounding box and such.

I went in and checked, and dispensers are called obj_dispenser

12. dirtyminuth

dirtyminuth L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Sounds like you can use an engineer's dispenser to facilitate gameplay changes. However, can you distinguish between a BLU or RED engineer's dispenser? If not, it's easy enough to implement team-only doors as a hack solution.

13. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, chances are you have to use a team only door. there are some other nifty ways of doing it but they are quite long winded to explain, difficult to impliment and probably less than 100% effective.

14. l3eeron

l3eeron L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Once the dispenser is built and enables the new spawn room... are the enemy supposed to be able to destroy it and turn the forward spawn off?

15. fartron

fartron L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I supposed you could do it either way.

Here's a question... does anyone know if you might be able to trick a dispenser into sending out its healing beam toward a map entity? That'd look awesome, if you had to build the dispenser and then it healed the respawn. Gonna play with ents when I get home, but somehow I doubt this is possible

16. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    It must be possible, with one of those bullseye entities or something, I would't really know how to though. But it would look cool

17. Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Did you get this to work?

A while back I tried triggering a trigger_multiple with a dispenser by using a filter_activator_class with filterclass set to "obj_dispenser". Didn't work for me. I assumed it was because the entity never actually "touched" the trigger_multiple because it was instead "born" inside of it when built.

Although if that's the case I just had an idea... You could attach a trigger_multiple to some moving entity which would constantly "sweep" the area scanning for a dispenser, which would in theory trigger the OnTouch.

18. ryodoan

ryodoan Resident Bum

Positive Ratings:
    heh, anyone else here watch The Venture Brothers? I have not seen it on TV but I was over a friends house and he had the first season on DvD.

In any case, in this one episode Dr. Venture has created a contraption that when you go into it, it makes you experience your best fantasies, however their resident Necromancer is convinced that the machine is evil.

Finally, towards the end of the episode Dr. Venture is asked, "What exactly do you mean by 'un-orthodox parts' going into this abominations creation?"

Venture replies, "Ehm, well I might have used *mumble*a heart of an orphan *mumble*"

So in any case, this is the first thing that popped into my mind when you mentioned having the dispensor activated on some object in the room.

19. Narkissus

Narkissus L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Venture bros. is one of the best shows on tv. :)
    I wonder when season 3 is coming out.

20. Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Last word on his blog says June. Interminable wait!

I've been accused of sounding like #24 in game. I don't know if that's a compliment.