Disp Cut Question

BagOfChips

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 7, 2009
Is there any way to cut a whole into a displacement? (without carve tool obviously.) I just made a cliff and forgot I was going to have a few door ways in it :x I want to know if I should start over on a few pieces or if there's a decent way to cut a whole into it.

Dustoxx

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 9, 2009
You can make a hole in it, but i should start over. Use Youme's tutorial to be sure you do it right.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
The best way to make holes through a displacement is to start with trapezoid brushes, since they have to be four-sided.

Since you already have your cliff made you need to do some trickery to clip them into the prop shape without them being destroyed. (clipping preserves the individual verticies as best as possible, VMing or resizing scales all the verticies)

So you have your cliff:
dispcut1.jpg

Clone your cliff piece so you always have your original to make pieces from in the following steps (or in case you mess up). Then clip off the bottom of your cliff where the top of the doorway should be:
dispcut2.jpg

Then clone your original into the same place as the one you just clipped, and clip this one where the side of your door needs to be:
dispcut3.jpg

Do the same with the other side and you should have a "n" shape with the displacements overlapping at the corners. Select the top one and clip both end at an angle like this:
dispcut4.jpg

Clip each of the side pieces so that they match up and then you should have an end result like so:
dispcut5.jpg

Then all that's left is to hit sew to tidy up the seams. :)