1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

Disappering Map

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Master of Spes, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Master of Spes

Master of Spes L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    :cursing:
    I was making a map for the contest and so far so good but last night when i saved and shutdown hammer it crashed my computer. Now when i look for my map it is now just a blank space. I am not showing even one-billionith of my anger and annoyance. The .vmf has the same size as a blank map but the bsp is about 1500KB in mapsrc. Is there any way I can get my map back?

2. omghazard

omghazard L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Try decompiling it.

3. (-TN-) Ben2

(-TN-) Ben2 L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    yeah i would just decompile it, also back up your maps to another drive from time to time to prevent future frustration.

4. Vigilante212

Vigilante212 L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    the hammer autosave function is nice too :)

5. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, if auto save is on you will have a backup in the autosaves folder (you gotta search, I don't know where it is exactly, somewhere in steam folder.)

I constantly save under new names. I probably end up with 100+ map files by the time I finish a map. If something goes wrong I only have to redo a little work.

Then I back up to CD every once in awhile to clear my HD.