Disappearing Map Sections

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!
Oct 6, 2008
Ok an new an intersting situation is now happening on my map. My original GH map was approximately 2-3x bigger than my current so I'm not sure it's map size related and I also have the area portals turned off for the compile, so...

When I'm running around the map there are a couple of parts that look like your looking through a bad area portal which is suprising because I don't have them on - but if you run through it it looks like when you do walk through a bad area portal- you can se everything on the other side of the perfectly.

Now here's the really interesting part - If I'm running from one end to the other I get to a point and there's nothing there - the entire section of the map is missing and it's like you're standing on a cliff looking out into the tf2 box - I can see the corners and the boundries of the box.

The issue just started happening - any ideas?

Oh - current entity count is about 759 if that helps.

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I don't really understand your explination but you can debug it by using mat_wireframe and double checking that area portals are actually off.

Actually, what is sounds like is the map didn't compile and is actually just loading an older version of the map with broken areaportals.

I'd recommend providing screenshots in future.

JustAHorrible

L2: Junior Member
May 5, 2012
It may be rounds, or cordon boundaries doing this.

Oct 6, 2008
Will post the pictures tonight when I get home - thanks.

I'll try a new compile as well before I do.

Edit: Ok ran a new compile - getting some error messages that didn't come up before indicating that the map compile will fail completely.

Will look at those - they seem to be the issue - why they didn't show the last two compiles is beyond me - I'll chalk it up to one of those hammer things.

Last edited:

Wander

L3: Member
Sep 16, 2010
Are any of your areaportals cutting through water or func_details? Because that would cause problems that sounds a bit like what you describe

while areaportals going through water causes problems, areaportals going through func_details should be absolutely fine

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
There might be too much brushwork and stuff in your map being rendered at once.

static2601

L2: Junior Member
Nov 4, 2010
I had a problem like this. try selecting everything in your map (go to map properties) and make sure you lock the textures, move everything around, like move everything up, down, left or right a little. ive had pieces missing that i couldnt figure out why but after doing that, it seemed to reset it and worked.