Disable game help text.

Earl

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 21, 2007
I've been searching for how to do this, but I cant find it.

Basically the red/blu box that appears at the start of a round and says "Capture all of Red's Control Points to with the game etc.." renders in the middle of my screen and stays there for about 15 seconds longer than it should. I have minimal HUD enabled. Do any of you know how to disable this?

kimangroo

L3: Member
Mar 15, 2008
With my map I had to actively enable this feature, but maybe it was because I didn't have any control points.

I don't know how to disable it but you can change what that intro text says by doing this:

Add a logic_auto.

Add the following 2 outputs:

OnMapSpawn ---- tf_gamerules ---- SetBlueTeamGoalString ---- The text you want displayed
OnMapSpawn ---- tf_gamerules ---- SetRedTeamGoalString ---- The text you want displayed

Don't worry about the broken output icons.

Maybe if you set the text as blank, it won't show up at all?

This is where I got the info from.

Last edited:

Earl

Dec 21, 2007
I'm not talking about how to do this for my map, I want to know if its possible for me personally to disable its appearing in my game for all maps.

Earl

Dec 21, 2007
That did it! Thanks.

Kind of interesting though -- does that mean people have to play a map 50 times before the text goes away?

trainRiderJ

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 14, 2008
I have no idea if that is the "magic number" or not. Honestly, I haven't even been to that thread, I copied the entire post from the TF2F forums. 50 does seem a bit high.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
That can't be right, I know I've played more than 50 times on dustbowl and I'm sure I still get those messages

Pseudo

Jan 26, 2008
That did it! Thanks.

Kind of interesting though -- does that mean people have to play a map 50 times before the text goes away?

Yes I do think that is the case. I had the opposite problem in that I was trying to add custom messages to the map I was making but they weren't showing up because I had played the map too many times.