dIS Placement is AAAAARGH

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
I can't say I have trawled through every bit of information on the web, but I can say I tried hard. I have been trying to work co-operatively with displacements, but they are pushing me over the edge lately. Why does one side have to be invisible? This ruins everything I hoped for.

I may have used the dish from Hydro - complete with the two entrances. However, working the tunnels getting to them is a nitemare when the bottom of the dish is invisible D:
Anyway, the dish has become a slightly integral part of my map, and I would rather find a work-around (or even better, solution!) than start again from scratch and make something completely different. I would like to know how to deal with this invisibleness.

Also, if you look at the dish in Hydro, it has a 'ring' that goes around it and connects it to all the other ground displacements. I wanted to use this ring to make a wall around the dish, but it is the wrong way around (the invisible side being the one I want textured). If i flip it, then it curves at the wrong angle.

Help? :confused:

May 23, 2009
There isnt a way to inverse displacements, you're just gunna have to remake the displacements you want from the underside yourself.

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
RAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

I came up with a kiiiiinda work-around. I made an arch block , and then just rotated and stretched it. It looks a bit messy, and a bit odd, but it does the job I guess. It's not like it has to wall off the entire dish, so yeah.

Still, maybe I'm going to have to 'borrow' a few more pieces from Hydro than I first anticipated.

There's nothing I can do about this invisibleness though?

Altaco

L420: High Member
Jul 3, 2008
You don't need double-sided displacements here, you just need to make the brushsides on the opposite sides of the brushes the displacements are made out of into displacements.

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
@SiniStarR I already looked through that, but thanks.

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
You don't need double-sided displacements here, you just need to make the brushsides on the opposite sides of the brushes the displacements are made out of into displacements.

disp.png

How do I do that?

Last edited:

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
Scale by -1???

and the flipping does not work when working with curves I'm afraid ):

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
dishdishdish.png

Trying to illustrate the problem with flipping these curves..
Also outlined the segments that hammer makes. I guess I'll have to just make a straight slope as a ceiling or something.

The arches I made are annoying to crop, I can't just chop off one end... it wants to carry on the cut line to the other side of the arch.

Oh I did actually slightly alter the dish from Hydro...

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009

any word on how to do this?

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
Wow, thank you for that program! It looks pretty amazing and I will try to use it :)

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
ohsnap, thanks for the help everyone!

I think this will make my work significantly easier, especially being able to see the 'invisible' side now : D