Direct and Indirect Lighting

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Goombac, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Goombac

Goombac L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    For those of you who have played Swamp Fever in Left 4 Dead 2, you might have noticed this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As the sun rises, it lights up the outside of the house, however the inside is still lit, but without direct sunlight, giving it a cooler color. I was wondering how they did this and if it can be recreated in TF2 as I would like to incorporate it into on of my maps.

Thanks,

Goombac

2. Grim Tuesday

aa Grim Tuesday

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Goombac

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, I got it from the decompiled maps. The sunlight is a normal light_environment and the blue light is a light_directional. I'll try it out.

Edit- TF2 Doesn't support light_directional :(

4. ricardojvc6

ricardojvc6 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    you don't need the decompiled maps.. Use instances.. valve made them to the l4d2 engine to help people to not decompile valve maps at all costs.. use instances, i even use it :D

5. Jimmy

Jimmy L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    If only I could get at what your saying. He wants to know where the light entities are set up in Swamp Fever and how, and last time I checked the only instances from Swamp Fever are the shacks, not the plantation house and its light entities.

6. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    What is a light_directional? It sounds like a light_environment made for interior spaces. The Valve Developer Wiki doesn't say anything about it.

7. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    light_directional is just a light_environment, but you can use more than one and it doesn't affect global lighting (ie. ambient light).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Goombac

Positive Ratings: