Digital Tutors Vids for XSI

Deadeye2007

L2: Junior Member
Jan 6, 2008
Let me begin by saying that I AM NOT affiliated in any way, shape or form with the company that produces these DvDs. I am simply a purchaser, who would like to make a recommendation.

About 4 months back I undertook to complete my frostfire map with a few custom models. I did a bunch of research on the internet to learn XSI. I did not do too bad, but my models were simple and took tons of time to complete. After having major difficulty getting my textures to work properly (although I eventually did), I gave up on modeling, believing it should be left to those with training.

A few weeks back, I decided to give it another shot, but this time with professional help. I acquired the Digital Tutors: Introduction to XSI DvD and followed along with the tutorial.

In the 6 hours of instruction the DVD provides, my modeling took a light speed step ahead of where I was before. The DVD illustrates the techniques in simple, easy to understand language that the beginner can follow along with. I went from having trouble making a coke can look right, to being able to create the tutorial jet ski-doo with ease.

If you're having trouble at this point doing modeling, I would highly recommend picking up the DVD from digital tutors. I plan on getting some of the more advanced videos to continue on with my training.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
umm...how bout some links? maybe an official source? Is it free? How much does it cost?
Yeah...you left alot of blanks...

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
watched a demo...very informative...but the guys voice reminds me of sesame street <_< don't know if I could listen to that for 7hours...

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
XSI comes with some very good demo videos... when you start it up you can see them, don't know why I would buy DVDs.

Deadeye2007

L2: Junior Member
Jan 6, 2008
The demo videos are fine, but the DvDs go into depth on developing techniques that can be applied to a variety of circumstances. They also explain everything that is happening on screen while they are doing it. There were a lot of times in the XSI demo vids where I would have to search around for tools myself because the narrator would use a keyboard shortcut - not exactly conducive to learning when they do that.

Take it or leave it, for anyone struggling with modeling in XSI, I highly recommend at least the Introduction series of DVDs. I would much prefer hands on training myself, but I simply do not have the money right now to pay for tuition.

You can get some of these videos from torrent sites, but I guarantee that after watching them you're going to feel bad for not paying for them - you can tell the authors put a ton of work into making great videos.