Difficulty Generating .pop Files

Erk

erk
aa
Aug 6, 2016
I decided to start an mvm map for the contest, and I've copied the entities required from the mvm_example.vmf.

20170409110548_1.jpg

However when I start the map up, the wave number stays at 0, even though I've copied the mvm_example.pop file and renamed it to my map name.
20170409110614_1.jpg
20170409110625_1.jpg

I've used nav_generate, and nav_mark_walkable. I've got the pop file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\scripts\population folder. I've got no errors regarding the actual map, just the pop file.

Any idea how to get this to work?

Super fast edit: http://i.imgur.com/eXNQbC3.png I forgot to add that the info_player_teamspawns are above brushwork.

Hydrogen

MvM Maniac
Apr 5, 2017
What does your console say when you load your map? (Error messages.) Try punching in nav_edit 1 and see if you can see your navigation mesh on the map? Also, I'm not sure if the example pop file is actually syntactically valid... try renaming mvm_coaltown.pop to your map name and try again? (You can find mvm_coaltown.pop from the tf2_misc_dir.vpk file.)

I don't have any other ideas off the top of my head on why it doesn't work. Send me a PM with the files you tried and I'll experiment around with it to see if I can get it to load.

Erk

erk
aa
Aug 6, 2016
What does your console say when you load your map? (Error messages.) Try punching in nav_edit 1 and see if you can see your navigation mesh on the map? Also, I'm not sure if the example pop file is actually syntactically valid... try renaming mvm_coaltown.pop to your map name and try again? (You can find mvm_coaltown.pop from the tf2_misc_dir.vpk file.)

I don't have any other ideas off the top of my head on why it doesn't work. Send me a PM with the files you tried and I'll experiment around with it to see if I can get it to load.

Got this error message: "Can't open scripts/population/mvm_erkentry_a1.pop.
Parse Failed in CPopulationManager::Initialize for scripts/population/mvm_erkentry_a1.pop"

Hydrogen

MvM Maniac
Apr 5, 2017
Are you sure that the mvm_erkentry_a1.pop is located in a folder like this?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\scripts\population\mvm_erkentry_a1.pop

By default TF2 does not come with a "population" folder inside tf/scripts (there should be just "items" only). Make the "population" folder (make sure it's spelled correctly) in there and then put the mvm_erkentry_a1.pop file in it.

EDIT: I just read the bottom of your post and you said you put it in there. Send me your map file and I'll toy with it.

Erk

erk
aa
Aug 6, 2016
My population folder is called "Population folder". It should be just named "population", right?