Different lighting effects on ground and skybox

Werewolf

Probably not a real Werewolf
aa
Apr 12, 2011
I'm having trouble getting even lighting on a texture, despite there being no difference in light sources. I am using the same ground texture on the main part of the map and in the skybox, and yet the ground in the main part of the map looks much darker than the skybox ground

Here's what I'm on about. On the left is the map ground, while on the right is the skybox. This was taken on a part of the map out in the open so there is nothing casting shadows over the ground.

cfIj46D.jpg

The whole outside area appears very dark:
9nHSrtc.jpg

Because I know someone will ask, here's my light_environment settings:
a3FA2Ua.png

The only one you can't see is the 'Ambient', which is set to 235 185 150 300

Can someone help me work out why I'm getting such differences in light when they should be the same?

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
That's a perk of the 3D skybox. So many maps have it.

Just to check, do you have the same lightmap grid on both faces?

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
check theres no ground overlap, there should be a big hole in the 3d skybox ground where the map ground is

Werewolf

Probably not a real Werewolf
aa
Apr 12, 2011
Just to check, do you have the same lightmap grid on both faces?
Apart from a small patch in the skybox that has a scale of 4, both parts of the map have a scale of 16.

check theres no ground overlap, there should be a big hole in the 3d skybox ground where the map ground is
That would cause a shadow? None of the props in the skybox cast shadows onto the main map, why would the geometry? I'll give it try anyway, I'm just confused why it would effect it anyway.