TC Diamond

Ælement

Comfortably mediocre
aa
Dec 21, 2010
An conceptual experiment.

Design goals:
  • Add a better sense of progression by introducing a middle point to each possible stage.
  • Eliminate stalemates by letting the keeper of the mid point win in case the time should expire.
  • Attempt to create a new sub-theme, primarily using self-made assets (Mostly for practice).

Overall: Make TC fun, and not just some random dicking about until one of the control points gets captured at random.

What's workin?
The entity setup works! To overcome TF2's limit of max 8 control points (This map will need 13) a single control point, which can be teleported around, will act as every single mid point in the entire map. That means the same control point will be used in 7 different locations!

What ain't workin?
There isn't even an alpha layout yet chill out man :c

Last edited by a moderator:

Vaconcovat

L3: Member
Jan 15, 2012
Balancing that will be insane, not only must majority of the points be middle points, they will also have to be defensive points. Have fun.

Limeaide

L2: Junior Member
Jul 26, 2009
3cp territorial control...

I wonder how many possible combinations of nearby caps you could actually make with that setup you have there. Obviously, you would need to be a hammer god to use them all in the map but it would be a fun thought experiment.

Ælement

Comfortably mediocre
aa
Dec 21, 2010
Balancing that will be insane, not only must majority of the points be middle points, they will also have to be defensive points. Have fun.

Not quite actually. If my sketch is somewhat readable, i have actually made it so that all areas are either a defensive point or a mid point.

Doing the other thing would open up an incredible amount of possible routes, but i don't really dare trying that :p

Sep 7, 2012
I can already see the shenanigans at play...... you're planning on teleporting the control points to the relevant area, aren't you?

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
this map looks as if it would be twice the size of Strata,
and considering that Strata is already pushing the limits of Hammer that's a very scary thought if you ever manage to get this to beta.
But, it sounds like a mighty interesting project and I'd be willing to help with anything layout or detail wise if you need it, because if you manage to get this working it would be pretty cool.

Good luck with this... ambitious project.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah, how do you plan to get around the hard limit of only 8 CPs per map?

Ælement

Comfortably mediocre
aa
Dec 21, 2010
Yeah, how do you plan to get around the hard limit of only 8 CPs per map?

- four fixed points at the invasive final rounds.

- three dynamic points at all the other rounds. They simply teleport their way around.

Now that it's weekend soon, i'll try to get the entities set up. Just to make sure it works.

Last edited:

Ælement

Comfortably mediocre
aa
Dec 21, 2010
Most of the problems in the entity work behind my TC design has been solved. With a few more solid hours of experimentation, trial and error, i should hopefully get a prefab ready, which i will not only build my map around, but share with everybody else!

7C300E5774CE3B0FEC2763C1292BF54D26D1E1D8

Spacek531

L4: Comfortable Member
Jan 28, 2012
are you creating your map based off of a hexagon, or off of a square grid? I think a hexagonal map like how you have the points outlined will be spectacular, at least for us mappers.

JeanPaul

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 5, 2010
How do you plan on making this mode less stalematey? Just adding another point in the center will make the stalemates last longer :p