Details 201, new and improved!

Discussion in 'Server Events' started by Armadillo of Doom, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    Edit 1: The turnout and interest was very low compared to previous sessions, and that makes me happy :) Means peeps have learned most of this stuff, so I can move on to other events.

Disclaimer: Despite having an admittedly questionable submission record, my knowledge of Source and mapping is actually quite high. It's a case of 'do as I say, not as I do.'

Last time I did this, the example map I used took me all of 10 minutes. My goal was to simply get people on the right track, thinking of how to create stuff when you actually put some effort into it. I realize that said goal is mostly the same thing I do for 'Details 101'. So I've made a few changes :) I am going to be showing better and more numerous examples, but in the same fashion as before. We'll start in an orange box and look at the room as it slowly improves. I will also briefly cover tricks for detailing the 2d skybox.

I promise I will host this event again, with a better time for Europeans. For now however, it will take place Friday November 13 at 5:30pm/1730 CST, on the U.S. server. If there is a lot of interest, I'll use this opportunity to test the broadcasting feature of SourceTV. Hope to see you all there!

Edit: password is "TF2Mapsnet".

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  2. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    :confused:

3. Armadillo of Doom

Positive Ratings:
    I habitually think of the 2d skybox as the space between the map borders and the actual brush w/ a skybox texture, but I know that's wrong. Is there a proper name for that space?

4. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    3d skybox.

5. pitto

pitto L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    The non-play area between the play area and the sky box brush?

6. Radaka

Radaka L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah probably that one. I refer to it as being "out of bounds" but not the 3D skybox.

7. DrHorrible

DrHorrible L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    If you're streaming, are you also recording? I've got a dentist appointment right then. :/

8. Armadillo of Doom

Positive Ratings:
    Yah, demos record automatically.

Edit 1: The turnout and interest was very low compared to previous sessions, and that makes me happy :) Means peeps have learned most of this stuff, so I can move on to other events.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  9. AntonJ3000

AntonJ3000 I am inactive and make horrible maps

Positive Ratings:
    I'll download the SourceTV demo. I was kinda tired at the event and didn't really pay attention :p

Also, where did the "looking at valve maps" go?

10. Jack Riguel

Jack Riguel L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I wasn't able to attend due to work, so I'll be checking out the demo.

11. Matt4019

Matt4019 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hey, I joined last minute. I had to finish up some things but I'll try to catch the demo. Thanks for hosting this event!

12. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    I refer to the "out of limits area that is not yet the 3d skybox" as "boundary". Is there an actual mapping term for it?

13. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Its essentially "detail area" like a "detail room"/"prop room", there's no assigned definition for it i don't think.