Detailing Tut

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Kraftwerk, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Kraftwerk

Kraftwerk L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well, Ive made quite a few "Dev texture maps" and I finnally have to detail something.... Does anyone know a good tut on detailing?

2. Pseudo

Pseudo L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    There were two ingame lessons about detailing hosted by Immortal-D.
    You can download the demo files and watch: Details 101, Details 201

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Kraftwerk

Positive Ratings:
    Sweet! Thanks! Any written ones? (Also... This is stupid, but how do I watch the demos?)

4. Caliostro

Caliostro L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Download them to your "Steam\SteamApps\[USER]\team fortress 2\tf" folder, open the game, and type "playdemo" and choose the demo's name.

Shift+F2 opens the demo's options, but keep in mind that, due to the way demos work, you can't move backwards in time. Only forward.

5. Kraftwerk

Positive Ratings:
    I did that... but nothing happened :/

6. Mr.Blob

Mr.Blob L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    You go into tf2, open up console and type: "demoui" (without quotes) then browse for the demo you want and click play. - job done. :)

7. Garner

Garner L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    i think, apart from those demos by immortalD, is to open up the vmf's of valve maps (which are provided in ou mapsrc folder, and to look at what valve have done o get a general idea of things to do. Then add your own touchs and inspiration to detailing once you have got the hang of it =]

Remember, detailing should be one of teh last things you do, =]

8. Kraftwerk

Positive Ratings:
    I understand that, but I won't be able to get testing done (get it hosted) without some degree of prettiness :p

9. Garner

Garner L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ah i think we've misunderstood each other (doh lol)

I meant "the last thing you do" in general for each release ect, not overal as in a "_final" release :p If you need any help, id be more than glad to help you =]

10. martijntje

martijntje L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    this -> [ame="http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=974"][Guide] Details: how VALVe do it - TF2Maps.net[/ame]
    these posts are a great source of insiration for adding more detail to your map.
    remember that the post continues on later pages (with different maps), so you would have to search a bit.

11. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    [ame="http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=5952"]Valve Maps(Decompiled) 8/20/2009 - TF2Maps.net[/ame]

That has all the valve maps too look at for ideas about detailing. :)