Detail Displacement Foilage.

BagOfChips

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 7, 2009
Just curious, what causes a displacement to generate the little flowers like lumberyard?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Theres a text file that determines what sprites are generated and how, and theres some stuff in certain material's vmt that tells it to emmit sprites. You can only have one type of sprite per map and its set per map not per texture, so you need to alter the map properties (map>map properties) to change it.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
It might not be a text file, I've never actually looked at it but its detail.vbsp if you want to take a look at it, found in the root (/tf/detail.vbsp) in the content GCF.
It also refers to the detail/detailsprites.vmt material

I don't know if its possible but if you make a new one you might just be able to make some custom grass - perfect if you want to make a map set in hell or something strange like that..

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
Hammer seems to only accept detail.vbsp file, no custom vbsp has worked on my PC. Making them is easy, just be sure your Hammer is using detail.vbsp. It will display detail.vmt on Hammer, but if you selected another texture on Map Info it will show correctly in game. It's just Hammer is a bugstation